Custom Box ( A work in Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Everyone
Here is a sneak peek of my newest Intarsia box that I'm working on.. My client is a civil war buff and wanted to incorporate the flags into the top of the lid. Still have a ways to go but should be very striking when complete.

The Box is made from Peruvian Walnut with a Holly accent and measures 13" x 9" x 5"

IMG_7004.JPG IMG_7006.JPG

I drew the pattern for the intarsia using a couple of photos sent to me by the client.

IMG_7021.JPG

So here is a little progress on the inlay work.
I used tiger maple for the background wood, bloodwood for the oval border, bluish walnut sap for the sword blades and mahogany and brownheart for the sword handles.

IMG_7025.JPG

Making good progress.
Stay tuned- the fun has just begun

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Wow! That is neat looking. I'm impressed and know little about intarsia so I did a little research for a quick heads up. Unfortunately the pics can't show the 3D effect of the method but this short video was helpful to get the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wscm3y6LAVA

A few questions.

1. Why did you select the various wood species that you used to get the color contrasts? Bloodwood, Brownheart, and what is bluish walnut sap? It's like picking up an artist's brush and paints using wood.

2. Pattern definition and 3D dimensioning of the individual pieces? How are those pieces cut, shaped, and finished?

3. How is it all put together so far? Glue, epoxy, or hot glue?

A sampling of intarsia wood species for the curious.

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/intarsia_wood.php

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike that is looking great. I can't wait to see the completed work.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is AWESOME Mike!

One question - Is the board that the intarsia is being applied plywood?
If not how do you handle wood movement?

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Guys- thanks for the comments.
To Jeff- I have seen that video before and all I can say is I wouldn't know how to act if all of the pieces in my intarsia were so big.
To answer your questions- I select the woods for my intarsia based on the natural colors and knowing what the woods will do over a period of time.Most woods age differently so I make my selections with that in mind.
Bluish walnut sap is often found where the sapwood transitions to the heartwood.
At this point the only pieces that are glued in are the 28 pieces of the oval.I do a dry fit then use CA glue to edge glue the pieces to the maple.
To Hank- I use 1/4" plywood for the upper and lower backer boards which are routed into the box sides.
Here is another progress photo.
New Woods used- Background of oval-Lacewood, blue of flags- Blue Mahoe, flag poles-maple.
The stars are pretty tough but getting there.
IMG_7031.JPG

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am speechless and for those who know me they will tell you that is darn near impossible.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike -
your work is incredible - I almost feel the movement of the flags!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike that is Simply marvelous! (said in my best Billy Crystal imitation!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS