curious about helical head conversion on Powermatic 221

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
does anyone have experience converting a Powermatic 221 from a straight knife cutterhead to a helical head? I am considering it and would like to know how long it took you, were there unforseen costs, how difficult was it to align, etc???

thanks!

gmakra

New User
George
Stuart cant specifically answer on the Powermatic but I just did my Delta which is similar in design. On a scale of 1-10 on difficulty it was a one very eazy.
You may need a a gear puller and a pair of gloves since them heads old and new are very sharp.
I would replace the bearings and belts when you do the install.
On a 1-10 scale of satisfaction I am at 19.999991 in other words very happy.
Also if your a vet Shelix will give you a 10% discount.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Stuart cant specifically answer on the Powermatic but I just did my Delta which is similar in design. On a scale of 1-10 on difficulty it was a one very eazy.
You may need a a gear puller and a pair of gloves since them heads old and new are very sharp.
I would replace the bearings and belts when you do the install.
On a 1-10 scale of satisfaction I am at 19.999991 in other words very happy.
Also if your a vet Shelix will give you a 10% discount.

wow! 19.999991 satisfied! ;)

really I think I'm sold. I have had this machine for 10 years and love it, although it has recently needed some maintenance which now included bearings, belts, etc. So if I have to go in there, I'm really thinking it might be time to take the plunge and install that helical head... thanks my friend.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
does anyone have experience converting a Powermatic 221 from a straight knife cutterhead to a helical head? I am considering it and would like to know how long it took you, were there unforseen costs, how difficult was it to align, etc???

thanks!

I have not done one Kent but it looks pretty straight forward. From the online parts manuals, It appears the cutter head (probably with blades removed is designed to simply slide out one side or the other. Thats the reason for the oversized bearing housings on the ends. Each appears to have 4 bolts. Sure, youll have to remove one or more of the drive chain sprockets as well. You may have to install the inserts after you install the cutterhead due to diametral clearances of the cutter head and housing as well , I dont know. And of course replace the bearings while youre in there, I imagine theyre off the shelf stock bearings also. Good luck!.

Last edited:

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have not done one Kent but it looks pretty straight forward. From the online parts manuals, It appears the cutter head (probably with blades removed is designed to simply slide out one side or the other. Thats the reason for the oversized bearing housings on the ends. Each appears to have 4 bolts. Sure, youll have to remove one or more of the drive chain sprockets as well. You may have to install the inserts after you install the cutterhead due to diametral clearances of the cutter head and housing as well , I dont know. And of course replace the bearings while youre in there, I imagine theyre off the shelf stock bearings also. Good luck!.

thanks for the encouragement! it will be a couple of months before I can do it but I think I'm convinced!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's a lazy way of pushing out that cutterhead using socket extensions, bearing splitter, and a gear puller. Its what I had in my van and I was two hours from the shop (field expediency).

attachment.php

Attachments

• pm221 - 1.jpg
    pm221 - 1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 146

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Here's a lazy way of pushing out that cutterhead using socket extensions, bearing splitter, and a gear puller. Its what I had in my van and I was two hours from the shop (field expediency).

attachment.php

thanks Bob, and I also appreciate the offer for the grinder bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS