Cucumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have had an offer for a load of cucumber wood from a friend.I am not familiar:dontknow: with the wood and was told it is great for carving.Does anyone have any experience with it and is it good for pickles?Tony

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cucumber wood is a Magnolia, specifically Magnolia acuminata. It's wood is very similar to Poplar and often can be intermingled when sold. The wood is very straight grained which is good for turning. It's a little harder and stronger than Poplar. The sapwood, which is the desired wood, is a light creamy color to almost white.
It is one of the most common native Magnolias in NC.
It would be interesting to make something with it and then use a picked finish on it. That would be a great conversation piece.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cucumber wood is a Magnolia, specifically Magnolia acuminata. It's wood is very similar to Poplar and often can be intermingled when sold. The wood is very straight grained which is good for turning. It's a little harder and stronger than Poplar. The sapwood, which is the desired wood, is a light creamy color to almost white.
It is one of the most common native Magnolias in NC.
It would be interesting to make something with it and then use a picked finish on it. That would be a great conversation piece.

Dave:)

Yeah, Bread n Butter or a nice Dill finish!!

:rotflm:

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I've been using firewood scraps of it to practice turning. Turns very easily, kind of medium-grained, definitely looks like poplar, though not quite as smooth. I actually tried a pickled stain on one piece just for kicks, but it didn't take stain well at all (granted, I did zero prep on it though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS