Cub Scout Project Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
My sister in Indiana is a Scout Leader and has made this request of me. I don't have many ideas, but thought somebody here might. Please help her out with some ideas.

Good morning! We are looking for a woodworking project for cub scouts that combines history (theme is 100 Years of Scouting) and little pre-preparation on our part. We were thinking of some "old time" toy they could make. Has to use at least two hand tools (saw, drill, hammer, etc) and be made from wood.Any ideas?
:)

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
The old classic Cub Scout projects come to mind. A simple birdhouse or tote box. Or maybe a tic tac toe board? 1x6 pine board cut into squares. The cubbies saw grooves to divide the face and drill holes for pegs made of golf tees.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I only did Cub Scouts for six years. That qualifier of "little pre-preparation" severely limits the scope of projects. I think that if there was such a project it would already by in the Cub Scout manuals. A cheap battery clock movement on a piece of 1/4" plywood could be a start but that doesn't address the history of Scouting unless they glue on some retro pictures of Scouting. A hiking stick would be easy enough but Cub Scouts don't do all that much hiking. Being 10 year old boys, they'd use them for sword fighting.
Good luck.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Tick Tac Toe, very little prep. Divide the field and mark it with magic marker, drill holes, block of wood and sand paper to take the point off the tees.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
We carved and painted our kerchief slides.

Wood was easily carved, pre-drilled and standard sized. Multiple prepared patterns to choose from.

Do Cubs still wear neckerchiefs?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Neckerchief slides! Great idea. It meshes with the tradition of Scouting very well. Cut 2" lengths of 2x2, through bore with a hand brace and 3/4" bit. Paint the block and let them decorate to suit. Carving requires a little more hand coordination than a Cub will have. Usually 2nd year or older Boy Scouts will be the right age for carving and they will still need lots of band-aids. Learned that at Scout Camp.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Birdhouses. Precut and predrill the pieces and let them put it together and paint or stain ;-D

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I did these tool boxes with my son's den a few years ago. i did precut and drill them for pocket screws. then let them assemble with bit and brace

View attachment Tool Box.docx

there are a number of single board blue bird plans out there that we did as well.

We also did this for displaying belt loops.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/70437469730887/

if they want to do neckerchief slides i'd encourage using leatherwork rather than woodwork. i've never seen any wooden slides that are very effective at staying put, which could be said of any slides if we are honest.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Phil, I edited out the part of what happened to the kerchief slide. Mine slid off and got crunched when someone stepped on it.

I enjoyed making it and still remember working alongside the other kids.

You probably do have a good point about the leather version.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Phil, I edited out the part of what happened to the kerchief slide. Mine slid off and got crunched when someone stepped on it.

I enjoyed making it and still remember working alongside the other kids.

You probably do have a good point about the leather version.

hate to hear that, but definitely can see how it happened

key though is the memory and experience.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I went and looked at some of my old slides. Probably a 5/8" hole would work a little better. 1/2" would probably work but be a little tight.

From Scout Camp 1992/1993 for your amusement. (had to use a handkerchief because I couldn't find my Scout neckerchief)

neckerchief - 1.jpg

neckerchief - 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS