Cruiser Skateboard Deck

ste6168

New User
Mike
Something a little bit different. I wen't to Lowes a few weeks ago, walking around I noticed a thin (~1/16") piece of ply under one of the stacks of maple veneered ply. I asked the lumber employee about it and he told me the stacks come in with that on the top and bottom to protect the sheets from shipping damage. Asked what they do with them and he said toss them, I followed with "Can I have it?" - Sure... Loaded it up and home it wen't. I have had an idea to try building a skateboard deck for quite a while, just never really got around to it. Now that I had this free material, figure it was a good time to try.

First time ever doing any type of bent lamination. Made a relatively simple form, bent one layer of the stuff into the form until I found that overall shape I was looking for. Laminated it up, cut it out, sanded the edges, and overall was really impressed by the outcome. When I took it in to get grip tape, the local skate shop owner told me it is the best DIY board he has ever seen. I probably won't ride it much, occasionally around the neighborhood with my 9yo son. More of an exercise of "can I do it." Was a really fun project though!

Here is a link to full picture album:

Attachments

• IMG_5446.jpeg
    IMG_5446.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I tried that mode in college, not saying what year,
nor how well it worked out.
Knee & elbow pads, and gloves aren't bad either
for a safe riding experience on that nice looking
board.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I tried that mode in college, not saying what year,
nor how well it worked out.
Knee & elbow pads, and gloves aren't bad either
for a safe riding experience on that nice looking
board.

Thanks, and I agree, knee and elbow pads are probably not a bad idea. I skated through most of my childhood, gave it up when I wen't to college, mostly due to time constraints (and other things that consumed my time). 15ish years later (now 33 years old) and a few of my neighbors have electric skateboards, they ride them around the neighborhood and into town for a drink occasionally. Rode one of theirs a few months back and had a blast, immediately came home and purchased one (shown in last two photos in album). My son has since shown and interest in it and has been skating around the neighborhood. No way he can keep up with the electric board, so I wanted something I could ride around with him. Long story short, I have and wear a helmet, but I should probably invest in some other protective gear, as well.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Great job. I have skated for over 45 years. In the mid 70's, I made my own copy of the Sims Pure Juice decks that were made of solid oak with a wedge glued as the kick tail.
At 55, I still skate weekly but skate a commercial Alva Old school deck. I have never tried to make my own laminated deck. The commercial deck producers use complex molds and veneer presses under high pressure. The veneer layers are crossed at different angles to add strength.
How did you press the deck, this would be interesting to see photos.
I will be interested to see the long term stability of a home built deck. I typically put my board through a lot of abuse and they seem to take it. The board I currently skate is about 15 years old. and other than the tail getting some wear down, the deck is still in great shape. I have an additional deck of the same type for the time to make a change but I hate to use it now. Although it is an early 2000 reissue, it is worth about $350. If I could build a copy that will hold up, I can save this additional deck for a wall hanger when the time comes to retire the one I am riding.
Alva still offers some old school decks, along with many of the other manufacturers but I like the contours, shape and size of the deck I ride
FYI, the avatar is on the deep end of the bowl at the Skatepark in Charlotte (about 10' up)

Last edited:

ste6168

New User
Mike
Great job. I have skated for over 45 years. In the mid 7

Ahh, nevermind, saw the edit... Was missing some info.

As to your question, about the press. I built a fairly simple jig, if you look at the imgur album, about 5 photos in, you can see the layers glued up, and then beyond that (after you see the printed deck shape taped to board) there are some more photos showing the jig. Take a look there and see if that explains itself, as the saying goes, a picture is worth 1000 words. Not sure I can explain it better than the photos show. Glad to answer any questions! I don't think my way is the best way, by any means, but it worked. I did some further research AFTER I built my deck (actually, posted to another site) and this guy chimed in with a link to his first build which was essentially the same process I used, this may help explain it some also: Building Longboards in High School Wood Shop Class

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Came out looking nice!

Long boards are a perennial favorite project with students in my class.
Most are laminated wood similar to yours.
on one occasion they've build a composite deck with foam, carbon fiber and wood.

With the wood boards it helps a lot to cross the grain direction.
Usually they go three layers in the long direction (1, 3, 5)
Layers 2 and 4 are on 45 degrees and opposite to each other
The first attempt was all long ways and cracked down the center.

happy riding

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some years back Home Depot sold door skin veneer plywood that was ~3' x 7' in dimension that would have worked well for this too. But I guess it was an item that couldn't pay the rent so they discontinued it.

sssfox

New User
Steve
I was told they discontinued the door skins because they couldn't find a supplier who made them from a supply of sustainable wood.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Some years back Home Depot sold door skin veneer plywood that was ~3' x 7' in dimension that would have worked well for this too. But I guess it was an item that couldn't pay the rent so they discontinued it.

Yes, sounds like that would have worked well. I am planning to make another deck someday, i'd like to use a nice walnut/mahogany veneer for the bottom. We shall see.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS