Crown on a Bandsaw Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I need to replace the old rubber bandsaw tiles on my bandsaw.The old tiles have crowns on them.
But, the new urethane tiles don't. The question is: Can I put them on? Will the blade track okay?

Thanks for all answers.
Have a nice and quite Sunday.

Qui

Last edited by a moderator:

Sully

New User
jay
The blade may track okay but will track better with a crown.

First thing to verify, do the tires actually need to be crowned? Some bandsaw wheels are already crowned and the tires simply conform to the shape of the wheel. Have you already removed the old tires?

J

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks for all the responses. I heard that the crown is for blade tracking. Without a crown, the blade may wander back and forth. Is this true?

Thanks.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
A greater crown makes narrow blades track more easily, however it does so at the cost of contact area with wider blades. So large crown is great for 1/8" blades used for scrolling, but little-to-no crown is optimal when using wider blades for resawing.

If it eases your conscience, those of us with larger (i.e. 16+") bandsaws have tires with very little crown and most of us have little trouble whatsoever tracking blades as small as 1/4". (I have not yet tried narrower blades, but one of these days I'll get around to ordering some narrower blades for my 18" bandsaw -- I don't expect any real problems with tracking.)

Wost case scenerio, if your tires are way out-of-line with regard to being coplanar, you might have to realign them to be coplanar with new tires that have little to no crown, but I doubt if it will come to that.

That said, not having owned a smaller bandsaw (which are the models that tend to have lots of crown), I thought the crown was primarily set by the wheels with the (uncrowned) tires conforming the the crown in the wheel? Just curious.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks for all discussions. The saw is a 20" bandsaw. The old tires had crowns. The wheels don't. The new tires are flat and don't have crowns. I already have the tires installed. I will try to run it. The primary use for the saw will be resawing. I have another 14" bandsaw.

Regards.

Qui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS