Crochet Hook & Tiny Vessel

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I turned these yesterday just for fun. The Crochet Hook is Japanese Maple with just the Hampshire Sheen Polish for a finish. The Tiny Vessel is Cherry with Mahony's for a finish. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Crochet Hook.jpg
    Crochet Hook.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 240
  • Tiny Vessel1.jpg
    Tiny Vessel1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • Tiny Vessel2.jpg
    Tiny Vessel2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
  • Tiny Vessel3.jpg
    Tiny Vessel3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 226

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
MM-Y does the lid appear different?
You may have started something with your efforts-but it is going to be hard to top MD's 5/16 effort.
Kept up the great work-both of you!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bob Stocksdale mentioned how he would buy whole logs for his turnings. The Moulthrops also were into large turnings. Here are examples of the other end of the range. Excellent work.

Roy G

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I turned these yesterday just for fun. The Crochet Hook is Japanese Maple with just the Hampshire Sheen Polish for a finish. The Tiny Vessel is Cherry with Mahony's for a finish. Enjoy!
Is that all thats left from the Cherry tree Washington cut down?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
MM-Y does the lid appear different?
You may have started something with your efforts-but it is going to be hard to top MD's 5/16 effort.
Kept up the great work-both of you!
Ed, It must just be the lighting. The lid was parted off from the base with a 1/8" parting tool so that's the only difference. Otherwise they're a pretty close grain match.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I really like the detail inside the lid too. How was that done? Carved by hand without the lathe?
The detail under the lid was done using the Henry Taylor Elf Texturing Tool while spinning on the lathe. It's super simple to use and does a great job. Also, there's a bunch of videos out on how to make your own using a Dremel burr.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS