Crib progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryC

New User
Barry
I posted a pic or two of some rough Cherry I had picked up and asked if you guys saw a crib in there some where. Well yesterday I got to the point of putting it together and thought I would share a couple pics of the progress. I still have to build or buy a platform for the mattress, haven't decided that yet, and put on a finish. In the last pic there are 4 missing bolts because I ran out of fingers before I went to the hardware store.....

I might try a little gel stain and try to even out the tone to make it all match a little better but who knows it has it own character like it is.

Enjoy.

tn_DSCF0115.JPG

tn_DSCF0116.JPG

tn_DSCF0118.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looking good Barry. I like the cherry, looks like a safe and comfy place for the new addition to the family.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Nice job Barry. I will be starting my 2nd and third crib in a few weeks. I Wish I was as far along as you are.

cptully

New User
Chris
Barry,

My daughter's store bought crib had a simple platform composed of ~3/8" thick slats screwed to ~1x3 runners that worked just fine. I can take more careful measurements if you'd like.

Chris

BarryC

New User
Barry
Thanks Chris that is something like I was going to make but instead of using screws I will probably mortise the rails to recess the slats and glue it together.

Gordon it only took me about 3 months to get this far and I have 3 months until my daughter is born so I got plenty of time....

Thanks Tracy I really like cherry too. I found a little spalting I think it is called in a few of the pieces and it really looks good.

T

toolferone

Looking good!!

FYI, you should try to get your finish on no later then 30 days before the baby needs it to give the finsh plenty of time to dry and off gas any solvents/smells.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, that's Cherry, it looks more like Walnut :icon_scra Have you already started staining it?

Dave:)

BarryC

New User
Barry
Hey Dave I did put a red mahogany stain on it before I glued it together. There are quite a few different shades so I'll have to go back and try a gel stain to blend the colors together a little better. No hurry I have until October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS