Creole Style hall table

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
This is based on an article in Fine Woodworking from a few months ago. I loved the style in the article, but found the dimensions were a little small. I made my version, taller and a little longer. I'm waiting for the drawer pull yet, but thought I would post pics anyway. Piece is made from mahogany I ordered from Steve Wall lumber. Finished with Minwax red mahogany stain and several coats of oil based poly.
2014-04-25 20.44.02.jpg2014-04-25 20.44.31.jpg2014-04-25 20.44.41.jpg

Thanks for looking

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job, Dave. Please consider entering that fine work to the Woodworking Showcase at Klingspor on September 6. Looks like a winner to me

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A great piece to great visitors!:eusa_danc

The legs are great and scalloped aprons really add class. Awesome finish too.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Yes all the mortises on the aprons are pegged. I debated leaving them proud, and pillowing them over. I didn't like the way they turned out, so I ended up flush cutting them.

llucas

luke
Senior User
REALLY NICE! Love the overall dimensions and the finish. What technique did you use to make the legs...template/bandsaw/sand to final shape?...router template?

I'd love to know your method. Thanks for sharing.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wonderful work, color and grain work well, the shape of the legs and apron really look good

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Dave, that looks fantastic. You did a fine job, and are justifiably proud of it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Matt

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Thanks for the compliments. I went out of my comfort zone on this, so the positive feedback on it is encouraging :)

As far as technique on the legs, I drew out the shape on a 1/4 piece of plywood then cut it out and shaped it on the band saw. I had a nice chunk of butternut laying around from a previous project. I hadn't found a use for it, so I thought it would make a nice piece to practice on. I traced my template on to 2 sides and cut the rough shape on the band saw. After cutting the first side I taped the offcuts back on to help support the work piece. Once that was done, I moved to my drill press with a drum sander chucked in it and sanded to my lines. For final shaping I used my spoke shaves. Once I was happy with it I did the same process on my mahogany legs.

The aprons weren't much different. Drew out half the pattern on a 1/4" piece of ply. Cut it out on the band saw then shaped it with the drum sander and spoke shaves. When I was happy with it, I took it to my work pieces traced half and then flipped the pattern to complete the apron. Cut it out all on the band saw. Then back to the drum sander to fair the curves. I cleaned up the sharper corners with a file and chisel.

Overall it was a fun project. As I mentioned out of my comfort zone, but overall worth it I think. Hank beat me to the other table link above.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Absolutely beautiful. Infinitely nicer than the Creole tables that I saw while stationed in Louisiana - concrete blocks with MDF tops. LOL. Excellent work you did. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors