Cremation box

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Hey all -
Looking for guidance in building a decorative box to hold cremation ashes. I’m proficient in building decorative boxes, but is there anything in particular I need to know or do differently for this type of box? What is the ideal size for human remains? Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Jonathan

TB2

New User
Kent
This is what I’ve done in the past. Doesn’t have to be to big. Thinking 6”x8” x 6-8” high. This one had another box that went into it. Made one for wife’s grandma outta cherry.

Attachments

• 4DA98820-A2E5-441B-84C7-91A95273F52D.jpeg
    4DA98820-A2E5-441B-84C7-91A95273F52D.jpeg
    832.5 KB · Views: 126
  • B04AF325-11CB-447A-8AA1-01FBA890B8A9.jpeg
    B04AF325-11CB-447A-8AA1-01FBA890B8A9.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 0D731AF9-4E66-4AE2-ADCF-FB72DE7917ED.jpeg
    0D731AF9-4E66-4AE2-ADCF-FB72DE7917ED.jpeg
    907.1 KB · Views: 125

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
@chgorugbyref I think @Skymaster or @Raymond will respond with some specifics (they are part of the "Urns for Vets" Burial Urns for Veterans | NCWoodworker.com

But I always like trying to figure out people's handles - I am guessing Chicago Rugby Referee? Chicago IL? what brought you to "God's country"? (or at least close to it, since we all know that is the upstate of South Carolina... LOL
Lol. You’re pretty good on the handle. At the time I created one of my email accounts I lived in Chicago and refereed rugby. I came to NC in ’04 for work and decided I'm not leaving.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lol. You’re pretty good on the handle. At the time I created one of my email accounts I lived in Chicago and refereed rugby. I came to NC in ’04 for work and decided I'm not leaving.
We came in '96, my co-worker lived in Huntersville, but I had customers (Homelite and some others) in Greenville back then and he and I got to be friends and he didn't have to convince too hard!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I played for many years from 1975 to 1988 when an Achilles injury ended my playing days. I did some refereeing after that including womens' games. I wish I had kept up with it.

I satisfy my Rugby interest by watching the English Premiership on BBC America now. Go Harlequins!

striker

New User
Stephen
Don't want to hijack the thread ...but could be a stand alone thread..."esplain your handle"

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
One way of determining the interior size is 1 cubic inch for every pound the person weighs

dwminnich

New User
Dave
The only time I’ve needed to make one, the guy at the funeral home showed me the cardboard box that they would be giving us with the ashes and I designed around that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jonathan, as already stated plan on 1 cubic inch for each pound of weight of the deceased. You may also want to talk with the funeral home or crematorium to ask about the cardboard box dimensions. In some states, the crematorium has to place the cremains in a plastic bag before any other container; in others (most common) the cremains go directly into the cardboard box or provided urn.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the cremains are going to a columbarium, check to see if the columbarium has specific dimensions that the urns are limited to. They are not all the same. I recently went through this with my FIL's cremains, and had to modify the urn.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this a box to sit on a mantle/table or to be buried? If it is to be buried the cemetery will have size requirements. It is also not uncommon for some of the ashes to be buried or spread and the remainder to be put in a box for display at home.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Is this a box to sit on a mantle/table or to be buried? If it is to be buried the cemetery will have size requirements. It is also not uncommon for some of the ashes to be buried or spread and the remainder to be put in a box for display at home.
The plan as of now is for temporary storage until the ashes are scattered.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS