Creators

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike, I watched this and while its a little long winded and I maybe don't agree with all he's said here, but its quite well done actually. The lighting, camera angles and sound are very good. A lot better than many youtube videos Ive seen. Personally, I dont have the patience to create a video of a project, many projects take too long to complete as it is, let alone worry about a camera angle and lighting as I work. You have to give credit where credit is due. Isnt this just the sort of thing youre asking for?
Yes and no. I would like to talk to him directly and discuss rather than critique in public.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Personally, most of the maker/craftsman/tool review videos that I see on YouTube could achieve their goal just the same if they were half or two thirds shorter than they are. I don't know of many people who want to sit through 10 minutes + of a video that actually has 3-4 minutes of value. I know that I don't.

I'm a writer, so I could contribute in that way...provided my style meshes with the desired effect the content creator is looking for.
Thanks for your offer to help.

10 minutes I don't mind, even up to 30 if it is interesting.

Anything over that i probably won't watch.

gritz

New User
Robert
If any part of this idea is directed toward making money, even as an incidental part of the effort, the board should first re-visit their choice to distribute the 2020 excess in the NCWW treasury to local charities. I'm still smartin' about that decision.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If any part of this idea is directed toward making money, even as an incidental part of the effort, the board should first re-visit their choice to distribute the 2020 excess in the NCWW treasury to local charities. I'm still smartin' about that decision.
My only motivation is to help train/educate more people in woodworking.
I agree with you.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Perhaps a list is a great place to start then we could fill in with the things we find lacking or missing?

Sometimes the worst thing to do is focus too much on what to do that you never get around to doing.

Make a quick list, and then go make the video. The first one is the hardest. Make it, post it and get feedback to make the next one better. My first video I did of a house for real estate sucks compared to my 10th. Took me forever to do the first, now it's second nature.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... The first one is the hardest. Make it, post it and get feedback to make the next one better. My first video I did of a house for real estate sucks compared to my 10th. Took me forever to do the first, now it's second nature.
Agreed that experience is a great teacher - especially if you are willing to learn from your mistakes (and can recognize them).

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Agreed that experience is a great teacher - especially if you are willing to learn from your mistakes (and can recognize them).
Recognizing our mistakes is best achieved by having multiple sets of eyes (ears, etc.) on the work in the process of creation. I have done pre-publication proofreading for several people, and have found mistakes that the writer never saw. We know what we intended to write, so our minds normally read that, even when it is not what is actually written. This is true of myself as well.

The decision to learn from our mistakes is best made before we begin.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Youre right Mike, he can be entertaining, but personally its a bit much, I would turn it off. Alot of content, too much actually... I like to directly search for content if im looking for it, like specific videos on spindle turning for instance, not just turning (too broad) . I just dont have time to sit through or fast forward through a video to find what Im looking for. just my $.02

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Youre right Mike, he can be entertaining, but personally its a bit much, I would turn it off. ....
And this illustrates the challenge of any video endeavor - we have both a 'like' and a 'personally a bit much' reaction to a video...
We do of course all have our opinions, and what I like in a how-to video is very dependent on my level of expertise. WHen I am a novice, then seeing the overall project, some details, and the reasoning is good; light hearted and entertaining style works. When I have some experience or expertise in an area, then I am often more concerned with specific techniques, content, or details; then the entertainment aspect gets annoying.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Youre right Mike, he can be entertaining, but personally its a bit much, I would turn it off. Alot of content, too much actually... I like to directly search for content if im looking for it, like specific videos on spindle turning for instance, not just turning (too broad) . I just dont have time to sit through or fast forward through a video to find what Im looking for. just my $.02
Watch his cabinet making videos then get back to me.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
And this illustrates the challenge of any video endeavor - we have both a 'like' and a 'personally a bit much' reaction to a video...
We do of course all have our opinions, and what I like in a how-to video is very dependent on my level of expertise. WHen I am a novice, then seeing the overall project, some details, and the reasoning is good; light hearted and entertaining style works. When I have some experience or expertise in an area, then I am often more concerned with specific techniques, content, or details; then the entertainment aspect gets annoying.
I have recently seen how this can be addressed in longer videos on YouTube. Some videos are broken into sections, with a list of content in the description below the video, complete with links that take you directly to that section of the video. These can be recognized by the red line showing progress through a video being broken in places. Those breaks indicate the beginning of another section.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Not a woodworking video, but it shows what is possible.

build4fun

New User
Brian
I think he's referring to @build4fun

He shared his latest video in this thread: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-step-stool-project.71177/
I am just going to say that was a very nice comment. While I have been woodworking for 30+ years, I just recently started making videos for my projects. While it is a little awkward to be in front of a camera, I am trying to get over it and focus on helping others that may want to build things too. Also, although new, I have found the ncwoodworker community to be very helpful and welcoming.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Due to the feedback, both positive and negative, no excess funds have been distributed.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I should add my thoughts here, but I must say I have minimal experience with YouTube or any other instructional videos. I just do not watch them - I am quite sure I could learn some very good techniques. That being said and knowing that many do watch instructional videos, I support this effort and will help wherever a total video novice can

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Always enjoyed Charles White's videos. RIP

23tony

New User
Tony
I see that Pop has some experience in the industry. While I don't have as much time put in, I used to be a video producer - did product sales and instructional videos, a couple local TV shows, infomercials, etc.

If you're looking for someone to help from that end of things, let me know.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS