crappy screws-anything better at big box stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
I finished up a cubby system for our mud room trying to reduce the chaos. As part of that I ordered a bunch of coat hanger things that came with incredibly lame screws. I have pre-drilled the holes and used 3 different bits trying to get the perfect fit. i got 2 screws in with no problem but the rest have been frustrating. i need about 1" screws. anything at big box stores people have had good luck with? I was hoping to get this done this weekend or else would order from somewhere. i assume they just use cheap metal? I have dealt with this a lot. maybe there is a technique to make them work better?

Thanks,
Tim

RayH

New User
Ray
1. Better screws from Woodcraft or Klingspors
2. Lubricate the screws with a bar of soap

Good Luck,
Ray

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
What size are they? #6? #8? I have a selection of 1" screws, some of them from McFeely's. What I've been told and now believe is that the big box screws are junk. Fastenal and the other industrial suppliers have better quality. You can also get good screws at Wilder's in Raleigh, but they're not open today.

I just had a thought. If you need a really good screw from the big box stores, get stainless steel. They're expensive, but they work.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Both big box stores sell SPAX brand screws, which are decent quality. The rest of the screws they sell are garbage

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Home Depot is carrying the Grabber line in some stores. They offer a good quality construction screw. We buy from them via internet in bulk and are pleased with their product. The ceramic coated screws work very well. Some of the construction screws out there have threads all the way to the head resulting in less cross section there. As a result, we often have screw head snap off when the shank is completely embedded. Not a very serviceable fastener when that happens.......

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lots of good advice here already. Do not use drywall screws for cabinet construction. They are brittle and will not hold up to the task. Buy quality screws from reliable sources. I've found some good wood screws at the big box stores but at very high price compared to other sources. I only buy them when in a desperate need.

The other sources already mentioned here are much better.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I buy deck screws for woodworking and never have a problem. They are self tapping but I often pre-drill anyway.
-- Rick M

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Having installed hundreds of coat hooks, the first thing I do is open packages and THROW AWAY the sorry screws that come with them. Generally, I use the SS ones from Lowes.

NCJim

Jim
User
I buy my screws at QuickSrews. I go to their warehouse in Rock Hill, SC (I live in SC, south of Charlotte). They have distributors all over NC. Best screws I have ever used (they have all types) and great prices.[h=1][/h]

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
It looks like there are plenty of good references to resources here, I'll add that I've ordered screws (and other hardware) from McMaster-Carr, they have ok prices and have stuff I can't find anywhere else. Shipping is usually very fast.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Having installed hundreds of coat hooks, the first thing I do is open packages and THROW AWAY the sorry screws that come with them. Generally, I use the SS ones from Lowes.

A good point.

came with incredibly lame screws. I have pre-drilled the holes and used 3 different bits trying to get the perfect fit. i got 2 screws in with no problem but the rest have been frustrating.

1. Screwing into hardwood, plywood, or softwood? Your pre-drilling is good but the "lame" screws are probably coarse thread whereas a fine thread works better in hardwood.

2. Soap or wax on the threads helps a lot.

3. You got 2 screws in okay, but what's the problem with the rest of them that's frustrating? OMG, phillips head round over, etc?

thsb

New User
Tim
Jeff,
I had the same logic as you in that i got a couple in so should be able to replicate the same process with the others. Unfortunately, i think it is like a golf swing where you hit an amazing shot and think you should be able to repeat it. it will happen again, but there is no telling when that day will come. The screws were stripping very quickly. Possible problems include drilling with too much force, not enough force, not perfectly straight, etc...

There is the secondary issue of trying to use their little insert on the end of the screw so that a nice little cap will cover the screw. also made very cheaply.

In the end, because it is for the mudroom, i decided to go with an exposed industrial look and just used deck screws without trying to cover them. If i was doing this for someone else i would have been more patient.

will send a picture later.
thanks for the input everyone-going to order a bunch of good screws from one of the above mentioned places, a set from 1" to 3" just so they will be around.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Tim,

Okay. So you have a satisfactory fix for a mudroom which will certainly be messier than a few problematic screws that only you know about. No lost sleep?

BTW, my golf swing changes faster than the clock ticks and it's usually an adventure! :eek:

thsb

New User
Tim
mudroom.jpgThe whole thing is made out of plywood from the Hardwood store, plus a bench of very wide red oak from the Hardwood store. While not that complicated or interesting, it is striking how it appears to have helped calm the chaos in this corridor. We will see how the shoe bins go, i have all of the material to make pull out drawers for them but we will see if they are necessary.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I buy screws from a local hardware store, if they don't have it I order from McMaster-Carr or Lee Valley.

I never buy just a few screws, if I need a dozen I buy a bulk pack of 100. The next time I have some on the shelf. Have saved hundreds of dollars in price as the bulk packs are only a couple dollars more than the small retail packs and when you count trips to the store and down time I save even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS