Craftsman 22116 Tilt/Bevel Adjustment Issue

afman916

New User
Tim
Wasn’t exactly sure where to post this, so please let me know if this question should be directed elsewhere!
I’ll try and keep this short and sweet and leave it to those of you with a bit more knowledge to ask the pointed questions I don’t know to ask myself.

Spent a lot of time growing up building things with my dad, just now getting to outfit my first garage (have one full side for workshop area). Decided I wanted to start out with a good compromise between full on cabinet saw and older used contractor, so I found an older used Craftsman 22116 in great shape – save for one small issue.

Older gentleman I bought it from disclosed up front that the tilt/bevel adjustment wheel was tight. He attributed it to tightening the trunnion bolts down too much when he had the top off to change arbor bearing. I asked him pointedly if he knew that’s what was wrong and if that was the only issue, and he said he was certain that was the only thing wrong and that I just needed to yank the top off and slightly adjust the bolts.

So I took the saw apart (which I actually enjoyed and found useful – good to know how everything works and is put together) and loosened the trunnion bolts. Loosened them too much though, and the trunnion slipped out of the bracket and gave me a bit of a scare. Managed to get the trunnion seated back in the brackets and the bolts tightened though and we’re all good now.

Anyway, so I’ve been examining the assembly for the tilt/bevel and I think it has something to do with the trunnion arm (not exactly sure what that part is called) not centering on the worm gear? I’ve done a bit of Googling and it seems this may be an issue that’s cropped up on the R4511s, the Ridgid brother to this saw (or so I’ve read).

So I’m not exactly sure where to go from here. Do I loosen bolts and try and maneuver entire assembly until the arm seats centered? I read somewhere about a small nut that may need to be adjusted to move the worm gear under the arm, as opposed to moving trunnion around to get arm centered. Maybe that’s the culprit?

This is my first time getting into the guts of a saw but I’m interested in learning and DIYing this fix if possible. I’ve attached some various pictures – please let me know what other information would be helpful, pictures, etc.

Thanks!

vH3UwsZ.jpg

2H87Rpf.jpg

fFumGzU.jpg

CcZ0RNM.jpg

qK8jNB2.jpg

GPVVmVI.jpg

TIDE500

New User
Mike
If this is the same saw I have, check the bearing on the side of the housing by the handle and give it a good lube!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
See my answer over at Sawmill Creek. Another thing, is the bolts that hold bracket to side of cabinet have adjustment slots that they ride in. At least they did on my 1980 Craftsman saw.

afman916

New User
Tim
Thanks ya'll. Got caught up in diagnosing the problem over at Sawmill Creek (posted there as well) and forgot about NCWW. Here's a recent video of where I'm at with the problem - if there's anyone in the Raleigh area that would be willing to come take a look with me, that would be most appreciated!

Bruce - if there's a specific place I should post my request for help (I know you had said the Tool forum) please let me know. Just trying to cut down on multiple postings where possible...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tim, I started a conversation with you, but you may not recognize how to respond. Ask the moderator of this forum to move this thread to the power tool forum. Bruce

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tim, in your pictures / video, I don't see any lubrication on worm gear, or rack. I use white lithium grease on mine, while others swear by Johnson's paste wax.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Tim, I sent you a message in conversations. I'm on a Mac and for me there's an envelope in the upper right corner with a number on it. That's the number of conversations going. Just click on the envelope to open conversations and then pick the one you want.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a new user, Tim cannot initiate a new conversation but can reply to any sent to him.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This brings up a question. Once Sears finally goes bankrupt, will parts be available?

I recently had an issue with my Delta Drill press and figured out that the drill press was made by Delta under the Delta name but sold at Sears. The parts are slightly different for that model nd e-replacement parts suggested the part was no longer manufactured. I have a piece ordered that I think will work.

I know Lowes purchased their tools but this seems top be smaller hand tools, drills etc. the larger items may be a loss in a few years. Any insights here?

This will be very unfortunate as many of the older Sears tools were excellent quality.

afman916

New User
Tim
Thanks all for your help and suggestions! Been crazy busy over here between organizing/throwing a bday party for my better half and prepping for a two week vacation to Thailand that we leave for tomorrow. Looking to get this issue knocked out as soon as I get back! Have a few guys that have offered to come take a look with me (can't thank you enough for that!) so between that and my forum responses, hope to be up and running soon. Looking forward to it!

afman916

New User
Tim
So I've gotta give credit where credit is most assuredly due - Mike came over this past Sunday and spent nearly all day helping me get my saw fixed up. It now tilts BEAUTIFULLY! We tore it all apart, got the pinion shaft out, realized it was a bit bent, did some DIY straightening, cleaned everything up really well, put it all back together, and my word WHAT.A.DIFFERENCE.

Seriously, Mike brought my saw back to life. I learned so much and had a great time fixing it. I'm definitely a hands-on guy so I can't thank Mike enough for the help, learning experience, and getting me back up and running! Need to apply some drying lubricant, get the wings back on, align everything, and then start making some sawdust!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS