Craftshows in NC

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Looks like I will be out of a full time job after the first of the year. Thinking it's may be time to go and try the woodworking full time.

Anyone have a good source on finding craft shows in NC?

Hopefully this covid will go away and start allowing them to start back up by then.

Thanks

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Thanks,
Hopefully I can make it work. Been wanting to do it for years but never could bring my self to quit a good job and do it.

Now the job is going to Mexico and no better time to look at and see if I can do it.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Most of the shows are canceling for this year, and will probably cancel into the Spring of 2021 too unfortunately.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'd invest in a book or two on how to market your wares online.

How to sell your crafts online

1597624380405.png

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Another thing you can look into is any local farmers market type stores. See if they are interested in renting out a display area, couple shelves or a table, or consignment.

If you went the consignment route you just have to make sure their percentage didn't cut into your profit enough that its not worth it to you. Renting a display area ensures your profit margin but at the risk of paying more in rent than you make in sales.

Of course you'd be limited to mostly smaller items, but business cards on the table could generate leads for the bigger items.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Thanks for the information,
I downloaded a kindle reader and will be purchasing a couple of ebooks to read.
My expected termination date is in march 2021. I am just trying to figure out what i am going to try and do.
Have a few ideas and have a cnc router coming in the next couple of months.

I will look into consignment stores also. I do plan on adding another website for my stuff as well as using etsy and ebay and maybe Amazon.

This has been a crappy month,
Had tree fall on my truck 3 weeks ago and totaled it , bought a new truck Saturday and was given a lay off notice Tuesday.
Oh well just got to keep moving forward.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The risky thing about the craft shows is if they end up cancelling and you've paid the entry fee, you lose. The fine print on all these shows states there will be no refunds. The last 3 shows I paid to enter cancelled, and kept my entry fee. I'm not even looking for any shows at the present.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Southern Christmas Show in CLT announced they were cancelling this year but would be doing a 'virtual' show. Not sure what that entails or advantage it would give to a vendor. People like to kick the tires at these things. Do that at home and you hafta buy another monitor....................

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
When I was doing the craft circuit I used a publication called "Ronay Guide" . They have several issues for individual states. It lists the shows, location, booth fee, tells if it is juried or non juried, gives contact information for applications, and estimated attendance based on past years, longevity of the show. I still liked to go see the show before I applied to see for myself the quality of the show. Good luck with your endeavor.

cskipper

Cathy
I see you mentioned a CNC router. What kind of woodworking do you do? We sell at the local Farmer's Market. Last year we went to a 1-1/2 day market show (note not craft show but holiday show with all kinds of stuff). We were the only folks selling anything crafted from wood and it went better than we really expected. We hope they may still hold it again this November. All the craft shows I know of have cancelled this year.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
The risky thing about the craft shows is if they end up cancelling and you've paid the entry fee, you lose. The fine print on all these shows states there will be no refunds. The last 3 shows I paid to enter cancelled, and kept my entry fee. I'm not even looking for any shows at the present.
Thanks didn't know that. They Should not be able to keep the fees if they don't have the show.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I see you mentioned a CNC router. What kind of woodworking do you do? We sell at the local Farmer's Market. Last year we went to a 1-1/2 day market show (note not craft show but holiday show with all kinds of stuff). We were the only folks selling anything crafted from wood and it went better than we really expected. We hope they may still hold it again this November. All the craft shows I know of have cancelled this year.
Used to make gun racks ( did real good with those and got burnt out on them since that was all I was doings) then I started making Carbide wood turning tools. I am still planing on doing those.

I'm going to go back and start doing gunracks again and want to get into inlay cutting boards, signs and a few other things.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
"Farm house," "reclaimed wood," and "live edge" are all the rage right now. They're not my cup of tea, but people seem to like them.
I think I'm in the middle, i like the farmhouse style but not the obviously dimensional lumber aspect of most that you see right now. Talking about where they use 2x4s and leave the rounded edges even when gluing two together to make a chunkier leg.

I can do without the reclaimed wood but live edge can be cool if done right.

What I see sell at craft fairs a lot are things I've those balancing wine bottle holders, nice coasters, smaller things like that. Which is great because those can be knocked out pretty quick to build stock before shows.

I've never done a fair but my wife use to do craft fairs with her crochet work so Id see what everyone else was walking by with.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Depends on the show. I had booth fees paid for 4 Bridges in Chatanooga, Piedmont Craftsmen in Winston-Salem and Southern Highlands in Asheville. All cancelled. All refunded my booth fees. ( for these three that totaled $1900).

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Depending on what you do.....I would look into local Art Fairs and Festivals first. One day or two day affairs taking place in almost all mid sized to large towns and cities across the state. I live in Asheville. In my general area there are craft/art festivals in Hendersonville, Weaverville, Waynesville, Saluda etc. etc. Most of these are one day affairs (Hendersonville 2 days) and booth fees run 130-140 for oneday and around 2-300 for two day affairs. A step up from these are larger regional fairs like Greensboro Artisphere, 4 Bridges Art Festival in Chatanooga, The Biltmore Village Arts and Crafts Fair in Asheville. These can run 2 or 3 days and have around a $600 booth fee.
If you have high standards and want to sell to people who have money, Apply to one of the three nationally known craft guilds in this state. Southern Highland Craft Guild Based in asheville. You need to be in one of the mountainous counties for this guild. There's the Piedmont Craftsmen inc. In Winston -Salem. Their show is in November $600 booth fee. These two Guilds also have galleries that members can show in . You must apply to be a member and the jury is rigorous.
I would also suggest that you find galleries and stores that will carry your work on commission. This is hard road to go.....I find it very rewarding. ( I live in the western part of the state, there are lots of craft and art shows out this way. I know they occur all over the state.)

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Do not under estimate the power of FB. The share button can send your information and pictures far and wide. Instigram and Pinterest are good, but it's mostly young people on Instigrams and I'm not sure how Pinterest can help you sell. Here's the thing about FaceBook......lots of older people on FB.......older people have more money.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Here's the best marketing advice I can give you.......get really good and market to wealthy and rich people ....they pay well. Hint They aren't that interested in cutting boards and pizza peals.
INternet, Crafts shows and Guilds, Galleries, Commissions.......concentrate on these 4.

Also, look into Custommade.com

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS