Craft fair advise

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have done craft fairs before but it was a very long time ago and I never tried to make a profit with it.
It was more for fun and to meet people. I think this time will be the same, but a little income wouldn't hurt.
Maybe at least break even.

So, how do you?

What do you?

Where do you?

What is on your list of must have?

I know I will need a 10x10 tent, are any of them better than others?

I need a couple folding tables.

I have a Square but need to update and re-register it.

Do demos help bring in business or does that get in the way too much?
I would carve spoons or something smaller.

I already can hear lots of don't waste your time, but this is mostly for fun one day a month.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
If you have room for a demo, go for it. That room might need to be outside of your 10x10 footprint if allowed, space can be quite tight. The demo also should be short, direct, specific and you will need someone to help manage the tent while you do demos in case of sale opportunities and to talk to customers.

With your tables, have drapes for them to dress them up. Plain tables don't look good and don't set you apart. A center drape cloth to hang down in front of your tables or tent with your business logo or makers mark/logo will also help to identify who you are for customers. Business cards and/or pamphlets would be great as well. Need an organized display system for the tables that will show your wares off while not making it overcrowded. Have extra stock ready to put out if items sell.

Have items in varying price points, from $10 to how ever high you want to go. Don't overwhelm with variety though. Different people, different money to spend. Pricing should reflect your work but at the time it has to be realistic to the market you selling in, understand the demographics. Also account for potential loss/theft of some items. Just a reality of these shows and some dishonest people. Maybe consider craft show insurance, I believe ACT Insurance (Artists, Crafters, and Tradesman) is one or maybe your personaly insurance offers something.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Instead of the Square I would 100% recommend getting a Venmo account. Seems like that is the preferred choice for electronic payment

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
There are some good tips in the video below.
Another tip I learned was to cut pvc pipe to slip over your display table legs to raise it up from the ground to make your items more easily visible, get them out of the direct line of sight and reach of small children, and to offer additional storage space under the tables.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I'm much the same. I do a few markets and mostly have fun. As long as I break even, I say that it was a good day. Anything extra is gravy.

I bought a new tent last year and really like it. It's an ABC Canopy off amazon that came with weights and sidewalls. Most markets will require weights, and the sidewalls are great when rain rolls in. I bought the cheapest color they had (red at the time), but if I had to do it again, I'd just go with white. The reason being when I had to put up the walls during a rainy market, the inside of the tent looked like a big red demon cave :p

Forms of payment - take as many as you can bear to setup. I have Square, Venmo, & Zelle. Costs you nothing other than time & sanity to setup. I rarely have anyone pay in cash, but it all depends on the demographic at the market, and how your items are priced.

Fold up tables - get the stretchy table cloths that go under the legs. They're easy to setup and great when there's a wind and you don't have to worry about stuff flying off with your cloth.

I also have a few not-for-sale things I have out as conversation starters. One of mine is a turned resin/burl "dragon egg" in a mallee burl stand that people like to ask what it is. Kids like to touch it and it lets me explain how I made it. I probably should make some to actually sell...

I have a few things I have on my TODO list for future markets:
  • A nice, handmade business card holder that shows off your craftsmanship.
  • A 1'x9' business sign to attach to the front-top edge of the tent.
  • A box of quickly turned spinner tops to give away to kids. I've found that kids are fascinated by how things are made, and parents really appreciate someone taking the time to explain the process to them.
I think your spoon carving is an excellent idea. When I'm selling pens, I make sure to bring some pen blanks to show them how it starts out. When they see the work that goes into it, it really clicks. Having something in progress like your spoons shows how it goes from raw material to finished product. And people will want to watch.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User

Canopies are definitely a get-what-you-pay-for item. I'm on my third one. The first two were $89.95 specials that lasted 5-6 years apiece with moderate use. My current one was about $225.

Get one that comes in a thick canvas bag, not a thin plastic one. If you think you'll be dragging your bag through grass, most bags have the annoying habit of tipping over as you pull them because the wheels that are integrated into the bottom of the bag are too close together. Look for a bag with wheels that are outboard of the bag itself:

1675364819858.png

Not this:

1675364995348.png

And get one with a frame that has a center extension like this:

1675364412072.png

Not like this:

1675364317323.png

The center extensions are stronger and prevent racking.

If you are putting it up in a place where you can't drive stakes, you'll need some kind of weights to put around the feet. Don't get the plastic-coated commercial weights. They're typically only 5# each which won't do much if a stiff wind comes up. Figure on at least 25# per corner. You can make your own out of various things. When I go to the track I see a lot of guys using old brake rotors that they notched out to fit around the leg.

Attachments

• 1675364197038.png
    1675364197038.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 38

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Hey Mike--If you will be displaying any small items that can "grow legs and walk away", you'll need display cases on your front tables. It can be so disheartening what can happen at craft fairs where we're all supposed to be peace loving, mellow, and all in this together. I made mine and utilized old double-hung window sashes as the lids/doors. A fat tire hand truck comes in mighty handy if you have to transport any distance from truck to display setup. Remember to take a chair DAMHIKT. In a 10' X 10' area you should have enough room for an extra table at the rear.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been doing craft fairs for a while. I can give you lots of do's and don't s but probably best done on the phone or inperson. Some of the main points:
- Yes you need a way to handle credit cards. Numerous options.
- I do not recommend doing demos especially if you are limited in space. 10x10 does not leave much room.
- Displays need to be organized and orderly.
- Prices need to be clearly marked
- If you must sit get a tall stool or directors chair.
- Greet everyone who walks by. Your phone or tablet should only be in your hand when making a sale.
- Dress a nice as possible. You are selling yourself as well as your product
- Bring plenty of change. I bring $200 in $5 and $10. Most cash customers pay in $20 as that is what the ATM has.
- Try to price in $5.00 increments. Makes giving change easier.
- Figure sales tax on the price. See line above.

The following are probably the most important.
- If you interested in an event go to it and scope it out. See what the competition is and their prices. Talk to the other vendors about how the show is managed and how they are doing.
- Verify it is really a craft fair for handmade items. Many so called craft fairs allow resellers (knockoffs and made overseas) and other commercial vendors (Avon, Mary K, Tupperware, food items).

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I make what I like, then if it doesn’t sell, It doesn’t matter, I like it. I DO make sure I have a variety of things. The must haves include boxes, bowls, baskets, containers, for keys, pens, etc. I also include kitchen things, trivets and the like. You make spoons. Things for children, I make puzzles. I also sell vases, plaques and large fretwork pieces.
I sell ornaments year round.
The fear about demonstrations is people won’t want to disturb you. I would not do it.
I had my phone and IPad on holders, ready for using my Square, I sold the stands they were on.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I also keep a few unusual things. Records I have cut, a clock, I have a large piece that is a table top Sculpture that I sold for a wedding.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I have done craft fairs before but it was a very long time ago and I never tried to make a profit with it.
It was more for fun and to meet people. I think this time will be the same, but a little income wouldn't hurt.
Maybe at least break even.

So, how do you?

What do you?

Where do you?

What is on your list of must have?

I need a couple folding tables.

I have a Square but need to update and re-register it.

Do demos help bring in business or does that get in the way too much?
I would carve spoons or something smaller.

I already can hear lots of don't waste your time, but this is mostly for fun one day a month.
We've done craft fairs for years. It wasn't until we found the right niche product line that we actually atarted making a little money. We now cater to a market made up soley of fiber artists - knitters. spinners, weavers and so on. We travel to shows, festivals and markets that cater to fiber artists. For example, next weekend we will be vendors at the Carolina Alpaca Breeders and Owners show in Concord NC. This isn't a huge show for us, as it's primarily a stock show, but these shows attract fiber artists. We'll do ok, but we also believe in supporting local actiivities. We'll travel as far west as Minnesota this year. We also have a growing wholesale clientele, Facebook presence, and a web site. A lot of our travel is to get the name out there and drive business to our web site.

The key is to make things a lot of people to buy. Not pens - nobody writes any more. Kitchen stuff is ok.

You want to keep things simple - things you can trun out fast. Make things that are worth what it takes to make them, including your time. If what you make is paying $3.00/hour after material costs, it's not worth it (this is why I have a CNC router and a big laser engraver/cutter).

We sometimes demonstrate. WE have a woman who goes to the bigger shows with us and she'll spin yarn using our tools where passersby can see her. Bridge City Tool has a really cool chopstick making kit that would be a great attention-getter for a kitchenware maker.

There's all kinds of things you can do with all kinds of angles. Just pay attention and keep your expectations where they belong.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We've done craft fairs for years. It wasn't until we found the right niche product line that we actually atarted making a little money. We now cater to a market made up soley of fiber artists - knitters. spinners, weavers and so on. We travel to shows, festivals and markets that cater to fiber artists. For example, next weekend we will be vendors at the Carolina Alpaca Breeders and Owners show in Concord NC. This isn't a huge show for us, as it's primarily a stock show, but these shows attract fiber artists. We'll do ok, but we also believe in supporting local actiivities. We'll travel as far west as Minnesota this year. We also have a growing wholesale clientele, Facebook presence, and a web site. A lot of our travel is to get the name out there and drive business to our web site.

The key is to make things a lot of people to buy. Not pens - nobody writes any more. Kitchen stuff is ok.

You want to keep things simple - things you can trun out fast. Make things that are worth what it takes to make them, including your time. If what you make is paying $3.00/hour after material costs, it's not worth it (this is why I have a CNC router and a big laser engraver/cutter).

We sometimes demonstrate. WE have a woman who goes to the bigger shows with us and she'll spin yarn using our tools where passersby can see her. Bridge City Tool has a really cool chopstick making kit that would be a great attention-getter for a kitchenware maker.

There's all kinds of things you can do with all kinds of angles. Just pay attention and keep your expectations where they belong.
I made a chopstick jig before Bridge City. Mine is very simple but it works great.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
hmm, it doesn't hurt to know a second language - or at least how to count. A customer once asked me [in german] if I'd sell three items for one price...at that time it had been over twenty years since my college german class. I remembered just enuff to make the sale. The other languages I took in college I barely remember..[never got a chance to use them around anyone] But I retain just enuff to know how to count up to twelve and saying hello /thank you.
These days it pays to know, at least, a little bit of spanish.
I hate translucent white tents in summer. It gets quite hot under them - so much so that it can be cooler standing out in direct sun. I now prefer the opaque silver backed ones. Much cooler and they don't cast a color. But if you are restricted to white,..some of those heavy canvas canopies with the top vents work [though lots more expensive and generally require tent to be pieced together]].
I find it safer to keep items in opaque tubs instead of the transparent ones. Why show thieves what you have worth stealing?
I've met a few vendor who wear aprons with deep pockets. It helps when you're busy.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I've never done a craft show, so take this with a grain of salt.
When I talk to a prospective client about a commissioned work, I usually lead with what I call a "concept car". It' essentially the jaw-dropping car that Detroit shows off that has the futuristic body style, every bell and whistle, every innovation and an un-affordable price tag (I have been surprised a few times by the client buying it!). We all want that luxury brand, or big SUV or ... but most of us can only afford the lesser models. BUT - the psychology of the concept car is that's what people THINK they're buying into. So... I'd have one or two high priced marquee items to catch attention and a bunch of lower end for sale. Artists do this all the time by offering postcards and prints of their original artwork - both of which might be in their booth.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS