Cracks/Checks and How to Fix/Work

spartyon8

Peter
User
Good evening everyone. I have yet another question for the knowledgeable people on this forum. I bought two chunks of wood over the weekend (Osage Orange and Bolivian Rosewood) that both have cracks at an awkward angle and in a weird spot. I would like to turn these into live edge charcuterie boards for Christmas gifts but am unsure about how to tackle these. There are two cracks in the middle of the board that I have epoxied and am ready to put in some bowties. However, two I am not sure where to go and if it is possible to save the edges. I uploaded them with the angle of crack. I tried to put some thinned epoxy in but after planning, I could see that the cracks didn't absorb any of the epoxy.

Thanks!
IMG_2544.jpg
IMG_2545 2.jpg

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have NOT used this to repair a crack, but I have used a pipette to get epoxy into a small space.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
The ones on the edge you are probably screwed on. You could try CA but I'd be iffy if that would stand up to a planing. The interior ones you can probably use CA and then fill with epoxy if needed.

spartyon8

Peter
User
The ones circled are the cracks in question. The middle ones are already filled with epoxy and awaiting some bowties.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can use CA glue and fine dust from the same piece of wood for the patching filling material. There will be a 60%-70% chance of success depending on the gluing. You really will only get one decent shot at it as - if the 1st time doesn't work re-cleaning it will not be 100% so, second tries will be less effective.
Ideally, you need a vibrating device to help get the glue into the crack. I know a guy who uses a vibrator for this (yes that kind :oops: ). I have used a concrete vibrating consolidator or you could make a simple vibrating tool with a tool and out of center tool inserted into it, or use one of those massage gun thingies.
Take a crack you want to fix -clean with acetone, use med-CA glue.
1st take a couple razor blades or thin shims (.01, shove between the crack to open -
Then, fill/coat with CA, then use the vibrating device to cause it to wick in, then remove the razor blades, then sprinkle the top with dust collected using 320 sand paper (superfine) then lightly clamp (using less than 30-40 lbs force). Then spray the accelerator. If the crack is imperfect then add the dust while the razor blades are still in place to add body. This is what I do when fixing cracks in instruments (called pinning in the industry). IF you have not done this before practice on a test piece to get the "feel" for it.
If done right it will adhere and the crack will plane or sand out with little to nothing noticeable unless you really inspect. - Hope that helps

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Unless its falling apart or causing loose areas , I would leave them as is. Over time used as a charcuterie board, more cracks will probably appear. People wash them, leaving them to soak in water, expose them to heat etc... Most people wont even notice the cracks anyhow.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Yeah, the shop vac glue method won’t work as they don’t go through the board. I wonder about a THIN ca glue. I never bought it before as I heard it was very runny. The crack might take that. I will stop by Klinspor after work. I hate to leave them open because of people washing them like you said, Chris.

spartyon8

Peter
User
You can use CA glue and fine dust from the same piece of wood for the patching filling material. There will be a 60%-70% chance of success depending on the gluing. You really will only get one decent shot at it as - if the 1st time doesn't work re-cleaning it will not be 100% so, second tries will be less effective.
Ideally, you need a vibrating device to help get the glue into the crack. I know a guy who uses a vibrator for this (yes that kind :oops: ). I have used a concrete vibrating consolidator or you could make a simple vibrating tool with a tool and out of center tool inserted into it, or use one of those massage gun thingies.
Take a crack you want to fix -clean with acetone, use med-CA glue.
1st take a couple razor blades or thin shims (.01, shove between the crack to open -
Then, fill/coat with CA, then use the vibrating device to cause it to wick in, then remove the razor blades, then sprinkle the top with dust collected using 320 sand paper (superfine) then lightly clamp (using less than 30-40 lbs force). Then spray the accelerator. If the crack is imperfect then add the dust while the razor blades are still in place to add body. This is what I do when fixing cracks in instruments (called pinning in the industry). IF you have not done this before practice on a test piece to get the "feel" for it.
If done right it will adhere and the crack will plane or sand out with little to nothing noticeable unless you really inspect. - Hope that helps
Being as dense and close to the edge as both of these woods are, I am afraid of them just breaking off.

Last edited:

spartyon8

Peter
User
I want to thank everyone for their insight. I used some thin ca glue and the tiny cracks absorbed it rather quickly. I hope it binds enough.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS