Crack in Mallet

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Turned this wood mallet today, but I have a substantial crack in the handle. Can see daylight in areas.

Any suggestions to shore this up or do I just need to find a better piece of wood?

Attachments

• 20220918_172310.jpg
    20220918_172310.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 107

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, an epoxy or a resin would be the choice to reinforce this little fellow.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm w/ Mike and Jeff. Consider that one practice and turn another one. Chose the toughest, densest wood you can find. Mike mentioned Dogwood and Locust, both excellent choices. I have one similar to yours I turned from Elm. Solid as a rock. I use it when I want some serious 'umph'. ;)

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm w/ Mike and Jeff. Consider that one practice and turn another one. Chose the toughest, densest wood you can find. Mike mentioned Dogwood and Locust, both excellent choices. I have one similar to yours I turned from Elm. Solid as a rock. I use it when I want some serious 'umph'. ;)
I think white oak is the densest thing I have at the moment. This piece ended up with some sap wood in it. It may be best reserved for my daughter to hang on the side of her headboard in case she has someone get too fresh with her. :)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Make some more They are easy to make. I have a small Maple one and a medium mixed head one and my big boy made from a Robusta (hard like Santos) root. I got a couple of others, they are one thing that is functional and fun to make and pretty easy to do so.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS