Crack at Segmented Turning - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
OK - here's where the rubber hits the road. Here's the base and ring 1, rough turned and trued, waiting for rings 2 and 3:

Rings_1_and_2.jpg

View image in gallery

Ring 3 glued on (missed getting a picture of ring 2, the walnut, glued up):

Ring_assembly.jpg

View image in gallery

And off we go spinning. I will tell you I have alot to learn on turning the inside. I think I may have to find a mentor:gar-Bi. Here it is, pretty much finished:

Roughed_out.jpg

View image in gallery
And the inside:

Finish_turned.jpg

View image in gallery

Here it is all done, finished with friction polish. Did you know that burnt friction polish makes a pretty nice rim accent? :rotflm:
Finished_31.jpg

View image in gallery

Finished_21.jpg

View image in gallery

Finished_11.jpg

View image in gallery

That's it for this one. Any tips, tricks and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
C.

manfre

New User
Manfre
That's an amazingly good first segmented bowl. I like how the wood choices turned out.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
That came out really good
And 16 seg's /ring (my fav)
Sorry but you might be in the vortex within the vortex

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Manfre and Scott - Scott I have you to thank for sucking me into this vortex! :rotflm:
C.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Thanks Earl - coming from you, that means alot!

I think I need to invest in a good disk sander. What I have now has enough wobble in the disk that the segment end grains wind up with a tiny belly in them. Once I figured that out, I started gluing on the raw saw cut, and it shows in the joints - maybe can't see it so much in the pictures, but it sure is evident up close.

C.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Excellent job for your first try. Now it's all downhill. Just keep digging deeper into your wallet. :gar-La;

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Chris,

It looks great. Love the colors, shape and step by step.

One thing I have heard is that the 16 segments at the bottom will start to pull apart in time. A way to fix is watch a youtube video on it. I saw one where a guy took two half's and router the inside of both to make a half circle in each, then turn a circle plug to fit and only glued two side, not the whole thing to allow movement.

You can also use a solid bottom, just make sure it is thin 3/16" to 1/4". I have done it and it still looks great, no movement. Then again I am in Utah with less Humidity. Check out the book by Ray Allen, he used solid bottoms on almost all of his turnings, then again he lived in Utah too.

Congrats, It truly does ROCK and I know you will get better and better.

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS