Crack at Segmented Turning - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
In part 1, I cooked up a segmenting sled for the tablesaw. In this part, we learned ALOT about gluing up the rings. My apologies if some pictures seem missing, but I kinda got engrossed and forgot about the camera :embaresse.

I decided to make the base from some curly cherry, segmented. So these segments form a complete circle. The glue up wasn't too bad, but my joints aren't nearly as tight as Earl's.

Cherry_bottom.jpg

View image in gallery

And mounted in the lathe, trued up for the first ring to be applied:

Next was to glue up a ring. I tried first with the "conventional" method of gluing 2 segments together to make 1/8ths, then 1/8ths to make 1/4ers, 1/4ers to 1/2 and finally half to full. This ring is ambrosia maple:

Sorry - I missed getting a picture of quarters glued to make a half...

whole_ring_glueup.jpg

This was really tough, especially from a clamping standpoint, so I sought out the advice of an expert, our own Darth Maul :widea:. Earl counseled that he used to do it this way, doing rub joints and no clamping, but that now he just does the whole ring at once, banding it. After fiddling around with getting a ring into a rubber band "clamp", I realized I would never make it happen with glue, so I banded it dry, then just went around the ring opening each joint, squirting in glue, and a quick rub. Then pressed it between sheets of wax paper and mdf. This made the process ALOT faster and the ring came out MUCH flatter. Here is ring #2 - walnut:

In the third and final chapter, some pictures of the turning part...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS