Covid - Vaccines - Workshops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Chris says this so much better than I ever could.
Also I heard that over 1500 businesses in NC have been sued for allegedly spreading Covid.
None have won their case. Still, let's be safe.

We have received several questions (and a threat of a lawsuit) about why we are requiring students in our classes to be vaccinated for COVID.
This decision was entirely mine, and I wanted to explain it here (and give Megan a place to send future questions).
In simple terms, COVID-19 is a deadly and highly transmissible disease, vaccines are not perfect and this building is my home, where I live with my wife and one of our kids.
Our workshop is a tight interior space, and students are almost on top of one another, huffing and puffing as they cut, plane, chop and carve wood. In other words, this is an ideal place for COVID to spread.
And though the vaccines work well, they are not perfect. And so I ask that if you come into my home that you be vaccinated to keep everyone as safe as possible. The vaccine is free and widely available, so there is no economic or class discrimination at play.
Finally, we are not asking for your medical information. No one will ask to see your vaccination record. It’s the honor system. If you are happy to deceive us, that’s on your conscience.
My hope is that by 2022, infection rates will be so low that we won’t have to worry about COVID much. But for this year, I’m asking: Please, get vaccinated before you visit my home and shop.
— Christopher Schwarz

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I think you should require proof of receiving the Covid-19 vaccine. Most high risk folks will not come if you do not. We give out much more personal and sensitive information to strangers on a routine basis daily. For some scrips you have to show the pharmacy your drivers license. Some places require proof of age to buy a beer. If you order a pizza and use a card you give out this info without even thinking twice about it. We answer any question asked to order something online. We give this info to perfect strangers, and potential hackers all the time. We give out shot records to the public school system when our kids start school. If you buy gas using a card and are asked your zip code you give it. This one innocent piece of info increases your chance of identify theft.

I could go on forever listing ways we give out personal info. Why can we not show a card with two dates on it. Are we so selfish and care so little about the well being of our fellow woodworkers.

I will admit I am more sensitive to Covid-19 issues than a lot of folks. My son risks his life every time he goes to work. He volunteered to work in the Covid-19 ward at his hospital. He said he is single and will not leave a family behind if he dies from Covid-19.

If a moderator feels I have said something I should not have, sorry.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mike,

I don't see any problem with you requiring vaccination. Will you also be requiring masks? I am much more in favor of vaccination than masks. I think it is more effective. But I wear masks when asked because I think it makes some people more comfortable and I think it is important to not contribute to others concerns. The logic of vaccinated people wearing masks escapes me, however.

I also have no issue with proving I've been vaccinated if asked. I took a picture of my vaccination card and have that on my phone. The card is unfortunately not sized to easily fit in my wallet but keeping the picture on my phone is not an issue. I would be more comfortable knowing people I am interfacing with are vaccinated than seeing them wearing a potentially pretty ineffective mask.

Jim

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I had my second shot in March. So I am well past the 10 days to two weeks recommended to be sure the vaccination has provided the necessary immunity. I think it is only after that period that masks should be optional. I don't see how I can spread what I do not have.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
None of the vaccines are 100% effective. Just because one is fully vaccinated does not mean that they are not infected, even if asymptomatic.

From the CDC website:

"We are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not have symptoms."

Until we know more, to me a mask makes sense in a workshop as it is something we do a lot without COVID.

Your mileage may vary!

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike, thanks for acting responsibly. Just offering your shop as a venue to pass along your skills and wisdom is quite generous by itself. Requiring vaccination is reasonable, and there is really no need for you to explain that decision in my opinion. You are not forcing anyone to attend your classes, so if they don't want to get vaccinated, that's their decision, and it's not your problem.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Mike, bully for you for asking for vaccinations. Saw yesterday, that Broadway shows opening in the fall will REQUIRE proof of vaccination. Many venues will be going this route, as without proof, they have to social distance, killing revenues. As for masks, they definitely work. Do you know anyone who had either a cold or the flu this winter?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Had our shots ( Wife is VERY high risk for death) Watching the rates on the NC dashboard. Still too high for comfort. Just had our first family get together last week. I am being a little more relaxed outside with others who have been vaccinated, but always mask indoors in public for now. July? September? High hopes.

Many forget, it is not just the risk of serious illness, not just having respect for others, but the horrible long term symptoms even mild cases leave some with. Seems COVID can attack most major organs including your heart and brain.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Then be consistent and require a flu shot.

There is SO much evidence that masks do not work, it’s overwhelming. Forget the physics, just look at the data. Look at India! They were articles in December about how India was beating COVID with masking. The lockdowns prevented herd immunity and look at the result - its obvious masks are doing nothing!

The treatments we have now make individual risk of death extremely low, even with risk factors.

2022? COVID is all but over, guys. Look at the data. Stop the panic!

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Then be consistent and require a flu shot.
There is SO much evidence that masks do not work, it’s overwhelming. Forget the physics, just look at the data. Look at India! They were articles in December about how India was beating COVID with masking. The lockdowns prevented herd immunity and look at the result - its obvious masks are doing nothing!
The treatments we have now make individual risk of death extremely low, even with risk factors.
2022? COVID is all but over, guys. Look at the data. Stop the panic!
DrBob: Sorry, but even a cursory evaluation of the medical literature completely debunks this. UCSF, the New England journal, World Health Organization and the CDC all provide many reliable studies showing the CLEAR benefits of (valveless) masks in preventing community spread of respiratory illnesses. I won't debate single studies, but point you to the classic "How to Read Clinical Journals" from the CMAJ in 1981 and onward that any clinician or epidemiologist should still keep in their armamentarium. Masks work. COVID vaccines work even better. Use both.
Given the evolution of more contagious and lethal variants COVID is far from over. Since the virus doesn't recognize borders, we're not safe until we're all safe. No country can afford to develop herd immunity simply by letting the virus burn through the population - not enough hospital resources

And thanks to the Constitution and rule of law, Mike can choose to run a private class WITH requiring proof of vaccination and WITH masks if he wants. They can also protect from sawdust if chosen properly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS