Cove Molding on a Table Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Title – Cove Molding on a Table Saw

Been working on paneling our Reading Room over the last few months & needed about 40 feet of matching 3” crown molding made from old growth pine. Had seen a few magazine articles over the years talking about making large scale cove molding with a table saw. Finally, an opportunity to try it.

First problem to solve was: auxiliary fence angle and maximum blade height. Was able to take advantage of Fine Woodworking’s Cove Calculator for these settings.
Just input a few variables:
· Blade Diameter
· Cove Depth
· Cove Length
· Apex Offset
· Miter Gauge 90 (0 or 90)
and the proper settings are calculated in a click.

For the 3” molding, I went with a 2 ½” cove, yielding a 33 degree fence angle to the blade, and a maximum blade height of ½”.

Fence setup (I ended up taking off the extra 1x4 board on the left & ran everything using only the edge guide on the right. The extra fence didn’t seem to help anything.
IMG_0121.jpg

Prior to running the boards, let’s take a moment to talk shop safety:
1) Mark each board to ensure the same edge is run against the fence each time, in case you’re not exactly centered over the blade.
2) Begin with a blade height no more than 1/16” to prevent kickback. And, raise the blade 1/16” every run thereafter.
3) Use pushblocks. I used jointer style push blocks to keep the wood steadily in contact with the blade.
4) Go slow. The process is a slow one, but the results are worth it.
5) Be careful. No distractions. The blade is exposed during these operations & must be respected.

First 3” test piece:
IMG_0120.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_0252.jpg

Up-close:
IMG_0367.jpg

Installed – up close:
IMG_0323.jpg

Link to the entire Reading Room project:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f90/reading-room-paneling-28394/

Thanks for playing along…

T

toolferone

It came out great. How much sanding did you have to do? With such long peices, did you have any feed issues keeping the board down on the table. I did a 5' peice as part of some ogee bracket feet I was making years ago.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Did you hog out most of the waste first with a dado set, or use a solid board?

I've been contemplating this my self.

Thanks.

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Did you hog out most of the waste first with a dado set, or use a solid board?

I've been contemplating this my self.

Thanks.

No dado blade was involved here - actually didn't think of it... At this point, I don't own a dado blade -- Looks like I missed an opportunity to pick up a new tool...

I'd say it'd work, given the multiple setups involved, am not sure any time would be saved, but, it may save wear on the saw blade though.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Great job. I made the same molding on the pewter cupboard in my album using the same method. It's a good feeling when it's all said and done to see it completed.

Red

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Making cove molding on the TS is one of the cooler things you can do with a TS.

I switched from using a regular saw blade to a Craftsman 3-knive molding head . Exact same set up and cutting process, but the molding head is a whopping thick steel plate. I feel like it deflects less during the cutting process and I take out about 1/8"+ per pass.

This is a sample piece cut using the molding head.

molding_head_cove_cutting.jpg

-Mark

mgoins

New User
Marvin
Looks good Marvin. How many passes over the blade did it take? What hp does you tablesaw have?

The original stock thickness was ~3/4", cove depth was 1/2".

Am thinking it took about 6-8 passes. To start, the blade height was set at about 1/16", then crank the blade elevation handwheel 1/4 turn every pass thereafter.

The saw used was a restored Rockwell/Delta Unisaw - 1 1/2 HP; 3-phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors