couple of stools

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice design and some "MAD" execution - you got skills!

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Nice job on the Maloof joinery. Stools look great

My 2 cents on plans and tools:

Charles Brock has annoying videos but his plans are not bad. He tries to be Roy Underhill and it does not work for him. Scott Morrison videos are much more enjoyable to watch. Hal Taylor is probably the best of the three major Maloof plan guys put there. I strongly urge you to visit the Renwick in DC to see the Maloof pieces while on display. At one time I knew the security guard on a first nane basis and he would turn off the security and let me take photos underneath. I also strongly seeing the masters work at the Maloof home in Alto Loma Ca. The guys in the shop are wonderful and Larry trained with Sam Maloof. Everything in the home is amazing.

Do you have a Festool Rotex sander? These make seat shaping much easier. I generally go from the angle grinder carbide burr straight to 80 grit on a Festool RO90dx and can shape a chair seat and sand to 220 in about an hour. A seat like this is probably 30 minutes with the Festool sander.

A Shinto saw rasp (the one with a handle is awkward and totally useless for a lefty) cuts time shaping legs. I have not found a roundover bit that I am satisfied with and generally shape legs by hand. In terms of Rasps. Airouj are phenomenal but costly (I only own 1). Narex are not bad and much more affordable. The Nicolsen (not Nicolson) are fair and inexpensive. Liogieer are also good but costly. I am not a fan of Iwaski. Have not tried kutzall or woodriver brands but would be interested in reviews.

In terms of a spokeshave the Veritas are a happy medium cost wise between old Stanley 151 and Lie Nielsen or Clifton. The only drawback to veritas is the handle tends to unscrew while using. However it is more comfortable to the hand than any of the others. The Clifton cuts even better than the LN but costs more.

My other two short list visits are Wharton Eshericks home and George Nakashimas home.
Thanks, always envied your work. Muting takes care of Charles. I have Maloofs' book and I think DVD, at least I saw him work. Would love to build a rocker but have no where to put it and I don't sell my work. I lucked into the RO90 second hand, and came with paper worth more than I paid for it. Also bought the Airouj modelers rasp/file and it is wonderful, otherwise used Nicolsen (actually have to go downstairs to see which one) but they worked but tended to "grab" a lot. Only used the Whiteside round over for the joint and a little more to be able to fair into it. Thanks for the info.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Those are just wonderful. The work is exceptional, both from a design standpoint as well as the craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS