Couple more trays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here are a couple more serving trays I made for Christmas presents. Both of the panels are veneered over BB ply.

This one is Cherry with cherry veneer and maple burl veneer. The banding is from Inlaybanding.com

IMG_1309.jpg

This one is Walnut with walnut and sapele veneer. This banding is also from Inlaybanding.com.
IMG_13161.jpg

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I am always in AWE when I see your trays~!!!

Your do wonderful work~! And those will be some Great Christmas Presents for sure~!!!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Last time I was over, he had an anvil sittin' on it.:gar-Bi

:rotflm:Yep, I sure did!

I have been using white PVA glue and I made a set of cauls that I use to press a couple platens made from some 3/4 melamine. Seems to work pretty well.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Ed,
gorgeous trays,you do some fine fine work.Curious,what kind of corner joint is that on the first one? Looks like some kind of cross between a mitre cut and a finger joint. Have a great holiday,
Greg

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Greg! It's a cross between a miter and a dovetail. I have been fighting with the dovetail joints because of the dado. This seemed like a good way around the problem. On a couple that are full DTs, I tried making a stopped dado, but the ends in the tails blew out anyway.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, and wow! Beautiful work, the banding really "frames" the grain of the wood.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:rotflm:Yep, I sure did!

I have been using white PVA glue and I made a set of cauls that I use to press a couple platens made from some 3/4 melamine. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks for the info. I have done veneer with contact cement and the PVA glue let it dry and then reactivate with heat method. The results gave me either bubbles and cracking of the veneer over time. I'll have to try your veneer press method.

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nelson great job:eusa_clap:icon_thum Where are you getting your veneers from

I had some that was given to me a year or so ago and I bought a grab bag off ebay. I also bought some from WC but I think they are a little high. I'll be looking for more sources as I get more into this! (Suggestions are welcome!)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Those are wonderful. Nice looking veneers...and banding...and the DTs look pretty good from here. Are they hand cut?

Some lucky folks are gonna get nice Christmas gifts. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work once more, Ed!!!:wsmile::notworthy:

You sure know how to combine the sharp veneers with just the right banding combo.

Just wish I had the nerve and steady hand to attempt something like that!:nah:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors