Correctly installing drive belts and tensioning them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan

New User
I finally have a table saw (and a jointer).

attachment.php

They had to be dismantled somewhat to transport them (thanks again Matt).

Both belts are fibre link belts.

What is the correct procedure for installing the belt(s)?
Should the blade be fully up or down?
How can I determine the tension is correct?

Does anyone happen to have a set of instructions for a 90's Emerson Craftsman table saw?

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 228

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Congrats on your new shop machines. You're ready to run like a horse at Ascot.

Do you have the table saw model number? I found this one for a belt drive Sears/Emerson 10" table saw, model #113.298762 that may be close for your belt tension adjustment question. I didn't look for the jointer.

Attachments

• L0907105.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 128

Brogan

New User
I spoke with John who I purchased the tools from and he explained how to set them up.

The jointer has no adjustment as such - you just attach the belt.
Although the motor bracket does have some adjustment if required.

With regards to the saw, the tension is provided by the weight of the motor, which sits on a sprung bracket.
There is a curved slot which the motor moves along depending whether the blade is down or up.

Just off to Lowe's to get some new outlets and breakers and then time to play!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
That saw looks quite a bit like the 2005 Ridgid TS3650 I have. (Also made by Emerson IIRC). If the motor spring mount assembly is attached to the trunnion by 2 rods that go into the back, there is one other adjustment (which should not need attention unless that assembly was removed). It is used if the motor is not fully swinging up and down through the arc (blade is not coming to full height or not lowering all the way). The rod that goes through the arc should not bottom out at the end of the slot in either direction. To adjust it, you loosen the lock bolts on the rods to allow moving the motor assembly in or out (toward the table or further away) until it swings fully. If the drive belt slips, check out this adjustment.

Go

Brogan

New User
Thanks Mark - that's exactly how it is.

The motor had to be removed to transport it, so I just inserted the rods until there was a small gap in the arc when the blade was fully retracted.
I raised the blade to the full height and it moves along the arc but doesn't reach the end.

I just finished swapping out the outlet and breaker to get the correct outlet and it appears to run fine.

I was tempted to just cut some random wood but the better half was making sarcastic comments about moving my pillow into the garage so had to call it a night ... :rolleyes:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I was tempted to just cut some random wood but the better half was making sarcastic comments about moving my pillow into the garage so had to call it a night ... :rolleyes:
Now you got a saw, you can build yourself a bed in your shop.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

About finding common ground in the woodshop? Revisit Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" for a history lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS