corona dust mask

TBoomz

New User
Ron
in light of the coronavirus, my online news feed shows the general public buying up a lot of the N95 masks. I don't buy 'em by the box, as I probably should. So, for those who've bought the electric versions - whaddaya got? likes/dislikes.

Once Lowes & HD run out of the N95s, the electrics might be my only option [in woodshop] for rest of year.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Or get a cartridge one. Then you will have something with replacement filters

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If you think you are sick, you need a mask to avoid spreading germs. But if you aren't sick, you don't need a mask and it probably won't help you - or at least won't help you as much as frequent hand washing. A doctor on TV said this and it makes sense to me.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
If you think you are sick, you need a mask to avoid spreading germs. But if you aren't sick, you don't need a mask and it probably won't help you - or at least won't help you as much as frequent hand washing. A doctor on TV said this and it makes sense to me.

I've seen this stated many times. Mask isn't going to help protect you when you pick up the germs on your hands. What sucks is I ran out of my disposable masks today, and stopped by Lowe's and they were all out. Worker there made a good point, she figures in about 30 days everyone is going start returning them and they'll be loaded with masks.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Anyone have the RZ masks? they can block the virus also making them not just a fashion statement outside of the shop. The RZ block 99.9% of particulates down to .1 micron as opposed to the N95 - 95% of airborne particles as small as (0.3 micron). Brought mine for flying to TX today. I always get some kind of crud flying so why not.... I'm not worried about C-19, when it gets here in numbers maybe.

Statement fin the company: Should a mask be worn to prevent illness?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All this Corona Virus over reaction ........ Here are a couple of facts. The Virus can live on a surface estimated 2-3 days........
Much more likely you get get from touching something that a sick person touched than getting infected by a person. The chances of running into a person with the virus are extremely remote. The chances of touching something like say, you are in Walmart and you see a clearance display, if the sick person had looked though that bin the day before and you then look through it, you are likely to get some level of exposure.
Then, you go through the store spreading it and others touching what you touched....etc. So, wash you hand 5 times a day, at least....both sides. That is much more effective prevention. If, the virus expands to say 3-5% of the population, then well, now the masks would help........
BUT THERE ARE NONE.......... because everyone used them up before it was really needed.......o_O :rolleyes: :oops: ......... just sayin'

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Along the same lines is hand sanitizer. I am part of a group putting on a Christian retreat later this month and we tried to get a dozen bottles of hand sanitizer. It was something we had on our shopping list months a go. Sold out now in most places. Even online.

TBoomz

New User
Ron
had business in town. route took me past a Lowes and HD. Figured I'd stop in on way back. Both stores - no masks - not even the cheapest, thinnest disposables or the high priced RZs. There weren't even empty cartons on the shelves.

Of course, we could all head up to Alaska. So few ppl up there and lots of open space.

Or give up sanding. No reason i can't lay a finish on freshly planed wood.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I just saw another comment by a doctor on Fox News. He said the only issue with the coronavirus is the media scaring people. The older flu strains are killing a lot more people than the coronavirus. Same safe practices, coughing into your elbow, etc. work for both.

We have a big problem with the news media disseminating mis-information. It isn't so much that they tell outright lies it is more that they find somebody who will overstate something and put their opinion on the air ignoring other points of view or giving them a lot less air time. It is hard to tell if they do this out of ignorance, or a desire to increase viewers and thus add revenue, or what. Probably a mixture of causes.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The media is hyping it and causing a lot of stress and panic. Its really making me sick.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS