Corner cupboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Well, I revisited my clients house to measure up for a handkerchief table and retook some photos of the corner cupboard I made her. Be kind, the pics still didn't turn out great but you will get the general idea.

DSCF00061.JPG

This shot shows the broken pediment and the rosettes I turned for it.

DSCF00051.JPG

Inside shot of the cupboard ( don't know what the white spots are)
DSCF00041.JPG

Another angle

DSCF00031.JPG

Either have to get a better camera or take some lessons. :lol:

Enjoy

Mike

dozer

Mike
Nice job that looks really nice and all the little white dots are dust. Make sure your lens is clean. The LOML is wanting something very similar to that i believe I'm going to make it out of cherry. As soon as i finish buying tools.

I truly believe looking at and buying tools is the funnest part about putting together a shop.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, you may consider lessons in photography, but you got the woodworking part down really well. That is beautiful, the details are exqusite and overall it is one fine piece. I only hope to make something as nice one day :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thanks for the updated pics, the last one was just a teaser :lol:

Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Travis Porter said:
That looks great Mike!

How did you make the top part?

Travis,

I made the base of the pediment from one piece then added the rosettes. I then used the pediment base to mark out the curved front pieces. Once cut, I rounded them over on the RT and marked and cut them to fit tight to the rosettes. A final sanding after they were glued in place . Hope this answers your question.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mike that piece looks awesome! I love the detailed, artistic work that you produce and I know full well that it is beyond my capabilities. And then I look at the finish. Absolutely flawless. Every piece I have seen that you produce has a finish that is absolutely perfect. Hat's off! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Fantastic job Mike.:icon_thum I really like the pediment you built for the top of it. You did a great job color matching the pieces. What finish did you you for the cabinet? As Chuck mentioned your finish is flawless.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike these are much better photos than the first ones :lol:

If you keep producing high quality work like that you will be able to hire Rick to do the photography :-D

Beautiful!
Sapwood

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Fantastic job Mike.:icon_thum I really like the pediment you built for the top of it. You did a great job color matching the pieces. What finish did you you for the cabinet? As Chuck mentioned your finish is flawless.

D L

DL,

The finish was achieved as follows:

Stained everything with my standard stain mixture ( burnt umber pigment thinned with turpentine).

Everything was sprayed with a vinyl sealer ( two coats rubbed out with 220 grit paper between coats).

Top coat is two coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer.

Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Alan in Little Washington said:
Very classy. Nicely done. Tell us about the door and the reeding.

Alan,

The webbing or whatever one may call it was made piece by piece. I had to get creative in order to have some support for it since it is only 5/16 sq. less the round over on the top edge. The curved pieces were first soaked with water using a paper towel wrapped around the center area over nite. I then clamped them together using a clamp and used a heat gun to get the bend to shape ( corner to corner. Once it dried in that shape, I face glued it in the center. Next came the smaller rectangles on the side. I mitered the corners then half lapped the miters so there was some glue surfaces. I also made tenons on the bottom of the ends which were mortised into the stiles of the door. Then came the intersecting pieces that crossed the curved members and joined the corners of the rectangle. I cut half laps in the curved pieces and the intersecting pieces and formed a tenon on the upper end which was mortised into the rails at the top and bottom of the door. The joint at the rectangle was just angled / glued / and pinned with a small brad. I would have liked to have made a better joint but couldn't figure out how to join the end to the mitered corner and make it look right. I think the look is OK and I have seen many antiques with the same type of joints and they have held up well. The key thing here, it isn't structural so unless someone hangs on it, it isn't going anywhere. Oh and the curved pieces were just pinned in the corners with a small brad. Also the bead on the frame around the door was made with a scratch stock I made.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS