Corner Cupboard progress--door panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I thought that birdseye maple door panels would add some bling to the walnut cabinet and keep it from looking so dark. The maple boards have had about a month to adjust to the shop, so I split them this morning. For you hand tool users, I used a bandsaw, but could have used a frame saw. Bandsaw (14" Jet w/riser) chugged a bit on the hard maple, but made each pass in about two minutes. I guess the frame saw would have taken about an hour at my speed.

IMAG0050.jpg

Next job was to glue it up.
IMAG0051.jpg

Here is a close up of the bookmatch.
IMAG0052.jpg

Next job is to plane the rough surface. Since it is birdseye maple and is prone to tearout, I plan to use my LN #112 scraper plane.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Very nice progress Jim! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap The bookmatch looks great and from what I could see, it looks like you have a nice shop too!

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good looking squeezeout! Oh, nice figure on the wood too :) - can't wait to see the next phase!

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Well, here is panel two. Removing the glue dots took a few minutes of chisel work on panel #1. So on panel #2 I used an old cotton sock to wipe the squeezeout dry. Easier to take care of it on the front end.

I like this bookmatch--reminds me of cat eyes.
IMAG0056.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS