Corner cupboard--door panel raising

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
To recap, the project is a walnut corner cupboard. I am working on the bottom which has two doors with birdseye maple panels. Panels were split and bookmatched. Now it is time to bevel the edges so they will fit and float in the door grooves. I tried out several planes, but the LN #62 worked the best.
IMAG0074.jpg

Note the corner knocked off. I know from experience that it is really easy to tearout the end grain when you are using a plane to make a panel bevel. I use a chisel to knock down the corner and prevent tearout.

I also made a gauge block out of scrap which has the same groove as the doors. Here it is in action.
IMAG0078.jpg

I tried out lots of planes to see which ones worked. My #4 with its *ReedMaster* blade worked great on the straight grain.
IMAG0079.jpg

Even the scrub plane got into the action:
IMAG0080.jpg

Here is the *money shot* of shavings.

IMAG0081.jpg

Here is the finished panel. Next job is to trim and fit the panel to the door frame.

IMAG0082.jpg

And then off to the second door. This was a nice way to spend an hour in the shop.

sawman

New User
Albert
Very nice manual work. Never thought to knock the corner off I will give that a try.
Now as to the LN's, nice but not something I am willing to spend the money on. I have the tried and true Stanley's with a few Sheltons, Millers Falls and Sargent in various places in the shop. Never tried the Reed Master but have spent the money for Hock or LN planes irons. The LN's work very well, excellent metal.
I will follow your progess on the cupboard, the birds eye door's with your other material should be interesting.

Later,
Albert :saw:

JimReed2160

New User
jim
I had time for a short session in the shop tonite and was able to fit the panel into the door. I made the panel oversized on purpose and had to take about 1/4" off one side. Then the fitting went well. Here is a shot from the back.
IMAG0085.jpg

Here is a picture of the door leaning up against the cabinet.

IMAG0084.jpg

If you look really hard at the bottom of the picture, you can see tomorrow's project--door #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS