Corner clamps or jigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am building a few frames and shadow boxed some of my scroll saw projects. I have a few of the Bessey 90 degree clamps but I am not super happy with them. What clamps and or jigs are you all using?

lQazlaAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I like these, and I have 2 with extra corners. They don't stretch and the metal band doesn't kink.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/merle_clamp.html

Didn't get a chance to finish (telephone), but wanted to add:
>The ones I've had using the threaded rod are tricky to get square with the frame in it. Four knobs
to turn for squaring the frame.
>The one (I built mine from BB ply) that tighten in the center also tend to bow up when tightening.

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Im:eek:ccasion1 with Joe on this one..I have a couple Merle Clamps and I love em..stuff stays pretty square

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Scott I have an older one very similar to the one Joe pictured that I use and love. Great for odd angles and other than 4 corners.
I have a ridgid frame one that is supposed to work the same way... not I said supposed to! argh!! its in a box to give away to the next woodworker I find I don't like! (just kidding)

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Scott,

My experiences match yours.The Bessey corner "clamps" are very useful for positioning pieces, like cabinet sides, for other operations like driving fasteners, but are really ineffective as clamps. I just reread their description and they avoid talking about using them for glue-up clamps. I use the Bessey variable angle strap clamps for picture frames and boxes and they work well for me. You can check out the details here.

bobby g

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I use the same system Rob mentioned and I love it for small boxes and frames. I've tried others and kept going back to this one.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You all rock!!! Thanks for the tips. I see some new hardware in my future.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, Rockler sells quick release five star knobs in various thread pitches for about $3.50 - $3.75 each. Slide them up snug, and then tighten. Make your own corner brackets from hardwood, or plywood, with tee nuts in them. Tee nuts are very inexpensive from Reid Industries. They will sell you a bag of a hundred for about what you pay for a pack of 10 elsewhere.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Scott-

I have a brand new Clampmate from Rockler that you are welcome to borrow if you want to try it.

I modified it slightly. I epoxied on some small pieces to the corner pieces to allow a relief for the corner of the frame. This way the piece actually puts pressure on the sides of the frame pieces.

I also saw a tip in a magazine once. If you cut some small triangular pieces of scrap wood, you can glue them to the sides of your frame at the corners. This will give you two clamping surfaces that are parallel for which any c-clamp will work. The trick was to use brown paper between the wood when you glue it. After the joint dries, you can (supposedly) easily separate the triangular pieces, then sand off the left-over paper. Never tried it, but thought it was a good idea for a tight joint.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS