Cordless Skil Saw, general reflections and review

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I bought a Cordless Skil saw. This is a true worm drive saw just like their Skill77. All other cordless saws out there are not.
I have used a Skil most my life and are used to them so, for me, it works fantastically.
What I like about worm drive saws is the motor and balance is more "In-line" with the cutting line. This means the cut is easier if you are used to the weight.
Worm gear transfer more torque to the blade than other gearing systems, they are just more efficient in that regard.
The weight of the saw is more than other saws. The Saw with battery is 15 lbs which is between the mag corded version (13.8lbs) and the traditional version (16lbs).
Depending on how you measure it is about 1" longer than the corded version (20" vs 19")

The unit is 48 volt battery 15.1 lbs, 20 inches long. Saw weighs 11 lbs and the battery is 4 lbs. One criticism that is obvious, they could have designed the battery more compact and this would be a better designed tool.

Performance - This was the surprise: It starts with a softer start than the corded version, but puts out an equal amount of power and has a stop brake when releasing the trigger. Additionally, it has a really great dust collection system. One note- the saw runs @ 4800 rpm vs the 4400rpm for the corded version.

I ripped some 8' 4x4 just to see if it could hold up to that kind of cutting. It equals the corded version. It took more than an hour of constant cutting to kill the battery.

So, in short, this is a great saw for those who are used to the size and weight of a Skil.

For some, this is too heavy and bulky, got it. This is the downside of a saw like this, but this has the power to do real demand saw work more so than the Makita and Dewalt power versions.
It comes normally with one battery and charger for 399.00 retail. I got it on sale here in Hawaii for 300.00 with an extra battery.... happy I got it.

Attachments

• Skil  (1).jpg
    Skil (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • Skil  (2).jpg
    Skil (2).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • Skil  (3).jpg
    Skil (3).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • Skil  (4).jpg
    Skil (4).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Skil  (5).jpg
    Skil (5).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • Skil  (6).jpg
    Skil (6).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good to know. Does it use the traditional diamond arbor 7-1/2" blades that most worm drive saws use, or is it a thin kerf blade?

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Diamond arbor. The blade on this is not a thin kerf, but My other skil has a thin one on it.
I just wanted to use the one in the box to see how it performed. I usually used a 40 tooth not 24. It works good actually.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Nice review, Casey. Did you time how long it took to recharge the battery?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS