Cord Repair

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Does anyone know how to replace the cord on a Nova work lamp? I accidentally cut through mine and no need to repair it...

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
Does anyone know how to replace the cord on a Nova work lamp? I accidentally cut through mine and no need to repair it...

If it's the model with the magnetic base and the DC adapter, you can match the name plate rating on the wall wart with something from Amazon. Maybe $10?

Does it have a DC adapter or an AC cord?

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
If it's the model with the magnetic base and the DC adapter, you can match the name plate rating on the wall wart with something from Amazon. Maybe $10?

Does it have a DC adapter or an AC cord?
you might as well be speaking a different language asking me if it has a dc or ac cord... I have no clue

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I do know that it is the part of the cord from the lamp before the disconnect plug

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
you might as well be speaking a different language asking me if it has a dc or ac cord... I have no clue
Straight wire with prongs, or small black box that plugs in to the wall? If the latter, the box will have a label that lists the input and output. Look for an adapter that has the same rating. Or post a picture and I will see if I can help.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Straight wire with prongs, or small black box that plugs in to the wall? If the latter, the box will have a label that lists the input and output. Look for an adapter that has the same rating. Or post a picture and I will see if I can help.
ok i will take a picture of it and post it

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
show us a pix ........ it is easy you can fish the wire out and replace or you can splice. Splicing is easier but not s nice looking when finished. Both accomplishes the same thing. ...... Or get a free standing goose neck flex head light ...........

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Here are the pictures I have

Attachments

• 20191216_224030.jpg
    20191216_224030.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 288
  • 20191216_224041.jpg
    20191216_224041.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 281
  • 20191216_224056.jpg
    20191216_224056.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
  • 20191216_224130.jpg
    20191216_224130.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 291
  • 20191216_224842.jpg
    20191216_224842.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
  • 20191216_224852.jpg
    20191216_224852.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 273

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
You will have to double check the diameter of the barrel connector, but something like this should replace your cord:

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I can't seem to get to the top of the cord to disconnect the wire in order to replace the wire. I have been looking for a youtube video to show me how to disconnect the light portion to even replace the bulb. I figure that if I can figure out how to get the bulb out I can figure out how to get to the wire at the base of the bulb socket.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
It's about a 20 minute fix with some heatshrink tubing and a soldering iron. I'd be glad to do it for you if we weren't about an hour away from each other. If you want to ship the whole lamp to me in Durham I'll do it, make sure it's working and ship it back. A new lamp runs just under $70 on Amazon. Shipping should be nowhere near that. You can PM me if no one local to you will do it.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
It's about a 20 minute fix with some heatshrink tubing and a soldering iron. I'd be glad to do it for you if we weren't about an hour away from each other. If you want to ship the whole lamp to me in Durham I'll do it, make sure it's working and ship it back. A new lamp runs just under $70 on Amazon. Shipping should be nowhere near that. You can PM me if no one local to you will do it.
I found the exact same lamp on Homedepot.com for $30.89 with free shipping but I paid more for it and I need to get it working because I haven't got my money's worth out of it yet. I have been looking at videos on youtube, I am going to find out how to fix it so that I know how for when I mess up stuff that can be repaired in the future. I think I have a soldering iron already that I can use to do it and I can get some heat shrink tubing. I just need guidance on how to do it is all. It's only two wires inside of the ac wire and I know that I just gotta match the wire colors and splice them...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I would just splice it. Just strip the outside sheathing 1st, then strip each line about 2-3 inches on each side of the cut pieces. Then, get heat shrink tubing the is 2 sizes one to cover the small wires and on larger size to cover the out side wire. Finally, slide one piece larger piece over the outside on one side then, slide 1 piece each wire of the smaller size, then solder it, then once cool slip the smaller ones over the exposes wire, then heat to shrink. Then, slide the larger one over both splices and heat shrink it. Finally, use electricans tape to cover the splice. It will last forever.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS