Copyrighted materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Just send the magazine. No copyright issues in that. The end user can send it back when finished.....or not.

Digital files are treated differently than physical media and it can get tricky.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
When I was staff artist/photographer the city sent me to copyright school. This class was taught by an attorney who involved in the writing of copyright law. What JimD & Mike said sums up the law and use of copyrighted material. It's investigated by the FBI. Yes that's the same bunch that comes up on your DVDs. I'm here to tell you sometimes it is difficult to prosecute infringement. Sometimes it's very very easy. DON'T TAKE THE RISK.

Now as a graphic designer I know that by making changes in a design and copyrighting it makes is easy to get around copyright law. Still you better make sure that those changes are substantial. Just how close to the line your design is may become as Daffy Duck would say "There legalities involved here". Be careful be very careful.

Pop

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
It moves and it ant' spose to = DUCK TAPE
It don't move and it's spose to = WD-40

Pop you are missing the other lines to this -

"It moves and it ant' spose to = DUCK TAPE
It don't move and it's spose to = WD-40
If it don't fit ..... force it and if it breaks, well then, it it probably needed to be replaced anyway ............" :p

Right after the new rewritten copyright law was brought into use I was sent to a copyright school. This presentation was given by a copyright attorney who was involved with the rewriting. At the time I was staff artist / photographer for the City of Charlotte, NC Engineering Department. After several years the item falls out of copyright. HOWEVER it can be re-copyrighted. My reason for the school? The City Engineer wanted to copyright the city maps. WRONG! base material can not be copyrighted. When you see a copyright on a map, that means: indexing system, design, etc. is copyrighted, but the base material can not be copyrighted. All U.S. government documents payed for with tax payer funds are in public domain. BUT! watch your step, the government sometimes includes copyrighted material in their documents. They most likely paid the copyright holder for the use, BUT that part of the document still belongs to the original copyright holder.

Pop

Like Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS