Coppiced wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Trying to get a handle on this "coppiced wood" business.
Seems that you manage a woodlot by cutting some treess, and allowing the tree to re-grow from the remaining stump, which apparantly produces numerous shoots as opposed to a single stem like a tree grow from a seed in the ground. Then the stems can be harvested when they reach whatever diameter. Increased yields is what it's all about, I guess?
Trouble is, I've wandered the woods a time or two, and came across a few stumps here and there, but don't recall seeing many that were sprouting new growth, let alone any that had harvestable new growth(say, stuff 3-4 inches in dia.) growing from it. It's been my observation that a stump, left in the woods........rots.
???????

sapwood

New User
Roger
Interesting Tom. I've observed many tree species that grow sprouts from stumps . . . most notably oak, cherry, and mimosa. However, the resulting sprouts aren't as hardy nor as large as original tree.

I'm really curious to hear what folks come up with on this post :eusa_thin

Roger

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
the resulting sprouts aren't as hardy nor as large as original tree.
Thats the intent, I think. You start off with a tree, say, 10-12 inches in diameter, harvest that, then you end up, eventually, with multiples of smaller diameter wood to harvest from the single stump. Growth is faster than a single trunk, so in the end, you have more wood produced pwer acre. I think most of the wood is just firewood commonly, but at least some is used for turnings and rustic furniture.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The only tree I am familiar with doing that is a tree that I don't want to do that as I cut it down to get rid of it. Sweet gum is notorious for coming back from a stump. I have seen some oaks do it, but not much.

J

jeff...

Poplar and Hickory will do it...and sweetgum is the Devil :rolf::rolf:

What's wrong with sweet gum? If it's stickered and stacked correctly it will dry straight and it's not all that bad looking either. Surely I would think it could be used in furniture building. A lot of people give sweet gum a bad wrap, I guess I would like to know why, is there something I don't know about it that makes it bad?

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
A lot of people give sweet gum a bad wrap, I guess I would like to know why, is there something I don't know about it that makes it bad?

Thanks

Splitting it for firewood. The wood maul just goes "boing" :BangHead:

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto, and trying to get rid of a tree is almost impossible.

I do have some that has been stickered for 10 years at my parents. Once I get my lumber rack back up in my shop, I will probably see how it does.

J

jeff...

Understand itr's difficult if not impossible to split for firewood, but that's not a bad thing is it? Guess if you were going to use it for firewood it would be bad, but I would think split resistance for lumber is a good thing.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've turned a few small bowls from Sweetgum.

While not the most attractive wood I've ever worked with it wasn't coyote ugly either. A very pale, plain grain wood. I even have a few more dry blanks that I'll get to at some point.

Jim

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
one deterimining factor in a tree puting out suckers is sunshine, you will be a lot more likely to get regroth fro the stump in a clear cut situation than a lone stump in the midle of a forest.

sweet gum will grow up from the stump, roots, leaves, and yes the devil too

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Sweet gum huh?
News to this northerner, never saw or heard of it......

First "Sweet Tea", now this!!!!!!!

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
tom dun,

the leaves will look like a maple and the bark like a hickory, it is the tree that will take over most clear cuts if the pines don't get a foot hold first

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Sweet gum huh?
News to this northerner, never saw or heard of it......

First "Sweet Tea", now this!!!!!!!

From one Yankee to another, Tom, I hadn't heard of it either. Until I bought a house that had 10 in the front yard and got to clean up all of the *$^%$*&$(% "presents" that it drops all over everything!
p-7big.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Saw a show on HGTV I believe where 1 tree in California had destroyed an entire house, swimming pool, and all the sidewalks. It was going to cost, I believe $200K to remediate. The tree had been cut down for years, but it was still sprouting shoots all around the house. I don't think they get that bad here because of winter, but they are a persistent thing to get rid of. I have cut several down and they always sprout shoots from the stumps. I even had a small one knocked over in the woods and it put roots in the ground from the stalk and started more shooters coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors