Copper water pipe in ground...

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I hope ya'll will tell me I'm worrying for nothing......

Whilst under the house (no sewage stories this time), large runs of my water pipe is under or sitting in contact with the ground.

There is some green corrosion or, as I like to pretend it is, a patina of joy on some of the pipe.

My question is..... is this copper to ground contact bad?

I have an outdoor faucet as well, that looks to be a copper run buried underground to the tune of 80 feet........

If I'm in for bad news, feel free to sugar coat it. I'm in a delicate place.....

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Copper is okay for direct burial in soils. The problem is when it is penetrating concrete or masonry. It should be sleeved with a plastic membrane or foam rubber insulation at that point to avoid corrosion or abarasion failure. For many years this was the preferred method of grounding the electrical system. It is still required to be bonded to it even thaough the primiry ground is a driven ground rod. The other thing to avoid is making soldered joints under a slab. They invariably leak. Also, the copper should be a minimum type 'L' which is medium thickness walls - NEVER type 'M' which is the thinner stuff.
As for the patina, it is usually caused by the soldering flux used to make the joint. You can wash it off if it bothers you. Most copper fails because of corrosion from within due to hard water rather than the patina you see.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
+1 on Dennis's comments. Particularly with regard to the thickness observation. Many years ago my dad and I used to "pull" copper water lines into houses from the street connection. Ground contact with the copper was not an issue.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I went back & re read your original post. If the copper is under your house, be sure you keep the foundation vents (all but 1 or 2 on opposite sides of the foundation) shut when it freezes. Copper is notorious for one thing that the new PEX pipes won't do so easily - BURST! The bad thing about a copper water pipe burst is you won't know it 'til it thaws, so insulate that pipe if you can!
Why keep open 1 or 2 vents you ask? Because of humidity. Dampness in the winter can be detrimental to your framing members causing mold & mildew.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
L copper is proper for above ground installation, for Underground it is K, much heavier wall and so called flexible, once you unroll that "flexible" copper you will note how UN flexible flexible is LOL LOL
In this case if ground contact is basically unintentional it is fine. Lets hope that the real underground
line was done in K.:gar-Bi Soldered joints are NOT allowed underground, no joints is the norm but if necessary only flare fittings.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok! This is a real relief.

Rest assured, they did something wrong, but maybe this won't be it.

My next trip down under, I'll check on the type of pipe used.

I had 3 of the pipes burst last winter, and one T fitting that was in ground contact come apart.

It help ease my fears knowing ground contact is ok.

Thanks!
Jim

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Jim: Just for info; next time u r in da pot or lows :}:}:}:} look in plumbing and the copper lines for ice makers, and larger are all K K comes in a roll b cause it is flexible :}:}:}:} this way you have a better picture of what u r lookin for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS