Coopered doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about building a round door wall cabinet with plans from Woodsmith Magazine.

The coopered doors are made similar to a wooden barrel. The plans call for a 28" radius and I don't know what that means.

striker

New User
Stephen
Larry,

The radius is half the diameter. If you scribe an arc thats 28 inches from the center point to the scribe line thats a 28 inch radius or if you were to scribe the entire circle, the diameter would be 56 inches (28 x 2).

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Diameter is the distance from one side of a circle to the other, passing through the circle's center. So the diameter of a circle equals two times the radius and the radius equals the diameter divided by two. Clear as mud?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Don't fret. Here's 1/4 of a circle with a 28" radius. That's your door.

Coopered_door.png

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I am thinking about building a round door wall cabinet with plans from Woodsmith Magazine.

The coopered doors are made similar to a wooden barrel. The plans call for a 28" radius and I don't know what that means.

I'm guessing that you mean the Curved Front Wall Cabinet project from Woodsmith No. 156 (Dec 2004).

The key to that project is the curved hardboard template described on page 37. That template is used to establish that 28" radius curve during several steps in the project.

What I would do to draw that curve on the piece of hardboard is use a straight 1x2 scrap about 30 inches long. About an inch in from one end drill a hole slightly smaller than a finishing nail and then drive a finishing nail through so that the point slightly sticks out. Then 28" from the point of the nail drill another hole just big enough so that you can insert a pencil snugly. Use that to draw your 28" radius on the hardboard, cut the hardboard as shown in the article and you're in business.

Or, if you have them, use trammel points on a yardstick in the same manner.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sorry, I don't know what happened to the pic.

Don't fret. Here's 1/4 of a circle with a 28" radius. That's your door.

Coopered_door.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS