Cool shop-made router plane video

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is a REALLY neat tool and plan - I have to fess-up, I DID find a 271, but now almost wish I hadn't - this looks like it would be a fun tool to make AND a pleasure to use!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I really like the use of Plexiglass for the base. I made these little guys for doing inlay work. They're for much finer work than a 271 is able to do. The smaller has a 1/16" iron for getting into the stringing grooves. Both irons are from Allen wrenches.

IMG_1999.jpg

I have a 271, but of course now I'm thinking about building a couple like this gentleman's with a clear base. Router planes are one of the unsung heroes of cabinet work and not that difficult (or expensive) to make.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I really like the use of Plexiglass for the base. I made these little guys for doing inlay work. They're for much finer work than a 271 is able to do. The smaller has a 1/16" iron for getting into the stringing grooves. Both irons are from Allen wrenches.

View attachment 207662

I have a 271, but of course now I'm thinking about building a couple like this gentleman's with a clear base. Router planes are one of the unsung heroes of cabinet work and not that difficult (or expensive) to make.
Jim,
What is the length and width of the wood on your versions?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The length is about 3.5", thickness is about 5/8" and height is around 7/8". I can measure later if you need precise sizes. I started with scraps of some dark, hard wood (ebony?) I happened to have and shaped them to fit. This picture shows the individual parts of each.
IMG_2520.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The length is about 3.5", thickness is about 5/8" and height is around 7/8". I can measure later if you need precise sizes. I started with scraps of some dark, hard wood (ebony?) I happened to have and shaped them to fit. This picture shows the individual parts of each.
View attachment 207664
NOPE!
Close enough for Government work!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS