Converting 16-32 drum sander to kling

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Folks, I'm wondering has anyone heard of a conversion kit to attach sandpaper to the drum using a kling material. I'm just kicking this idea around. Has any of you tried this? If so did it work?

Pop :confused:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have an answer, but had to look at the title 3-4 times. I thought you were bringing a drum sander to King...;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Pop Golden are you talking about converting to hook and loop?

My first guess is that it would be too "Spongy" but I could be wrong...

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
I just worked on a Shop Fox dual drum sander for a customer, and it had hook and loop sand paper on both drums. The hook side was attached to the drum by Some type of double sided tape. I would think self stick material would have been better than the double sided tape. I don't know how well it actually works, but my customer said he hasn't had any issues with the paper being a problam...being spongy shouldn't be a problem either, you have to remember it's a sander not a planer.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hook and loop is how the Woodmaster drum sanders are built. Mine does not seem too spongy . I would caution you not to try taking too big a bite or you may overheat the velcro on the drum and cause the adhesive to turn loose. The rep from Woodmaster advised "these things work in thousandths not sixteenths. If you can hear the drum working you are still sanding, so you may make several passes at the same setting.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have a Grizzly with hook and loop and a Delta without. The Grizzly is "spongy". It is not that noticeable on most projects. I cut my own veneers and it is very noticeable after I sand veneers. The Grizzly was purchased to replace the old Delta, but I now keep the delta to and the veneers with.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Back when I had my Grizzly I did convert the front drum to hook and loop. Sure made life easier.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS