Contractor saw dust chute

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Back in early 1999 I bought a Delta contractor saw and it came with this dust chute:
image.jpeg

In the queue since then was finding a way to collect sawdust "more better". Today I finished and installed this dust chute which connects to a Dust Deputy and a 14 gallon Ridgid shop vacuum.
image.jpeg

Nothing fancy. A plywood frame with beveled interior edges held by 8 longer bolts than the original ones that held the saw to the stand. The inverted pyramidal chute is 1/4" MDF with butt joints and lots of hot melt glue. The bottom collar is poplar.
image.jpeg

I did remelt some of the "joinery" with a heat gun where it was lumpy and that probably improved adhesion also.

Only made a few cuts but I was impressed that this chute seemed to catch nearly all of the dust.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One downside that I did not anticipate was the inverted pyramid acts like a megaphone and somewhat amplifies the sucking noise from the vacuum and the whirlwind noise from the Dust Deputy.

I exchanged the Dust Deputy with my Thein top hat and that reduced the noise a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS