Contractor saw alignment

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
On a too hot day recently I re-aligned my 20+ year old table saw. I haven't seen PALS mentioned recently and several new woodworkers have joined so I thought it was worth a mention.

Aligning a contractor table saw requires moving the trunnion assembly (which is bolted underneath the top) in small precise increments. An aftermarket add-on (aka cursing reducer) called PALS is an essential help for this task. I was able to align my blade plane to the miter slot to within .001 in short order. On my Delta saw, I could reach the two adjusting screws from the top through the throat plate opening.
image.jpeg

I have no connection with In-line Industries other than being an enthusiastic user.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
Over time, the slots in my zero clearance inserts have widened quite a bit, and the re-alignment moved the blade left thus making the slots even wider.

I restored them by gluing in some oak filler strips and then re-cutting the slots.
image.jpeg

Brian Patterson

Bstrom
User
I'm looking at a Sprunger table saw and these parts would be useful - have contacted a supplier to see if they will fit on it.

tijmt

Jared
User
I second PALS! I have them on the contractor saw that I am now selling and they made adjustments so much easier!

I also talked to the guy over at In-Line industries (the maker of the PALS) and he suggested replacing the pulleys and belts as well. They worked well for me and if anyone has a contractor saw with a bit too much vibration, you might want to give new pulleys a try.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
User
I restored them by gluing in some oak filler strips and then re-cutting the slots.
View attachment 194688
To make the starter kerf in the bottom of the throat plates, I had an 8.5" blade but it only cut a 7/64" kerf. A folded sticky note added enough wobble to widen the kerf to give clearance for a standard 1/8" kerf blade.
image.jpeg

junquecol

Bruce
User
On a too hot day recently I re-aligned my 20+ year old table saw. I haven't seen PALS mentioned recently and several new woodworkers have joined so I thought it was worth a mention.

Aligning a contractor table saw requires moving the trunnion assembly (which is bolted underneath the top) in small precise increments. An aftermarket add-on (aka cursing reducer) called PALS is an essential help for this task. I was able to align my blade plane to the miter slot to within .001 in short order. On my Delta saw, I could reach the two adjusting screws from the top through the throat plate opening.
View attachment 194687

I have no connection with In-line Industries other than being an enthusiastic user.

I've got a set of PALS on both of my Delta Model 10's. First set was bought, then using some scrap aluminum angle, made a set for the other saw. One saw has turned pulleys from In-Line, while the other has Browning cast iron pulleys from Agrisupply. Link belts on both. In-Line also makes the DUBBY, which is now sold thru PeachTree Woodworking. Jerry Cole invented both PALS, and the DUBBY. He used to do the Woodworking Shows, demoing the DUBBY. As for the Dubby, I have only one regret. I waited too long before I bought one.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS