Contemporary Headboard

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
We needed a new headboard for our bed which sits out from all the bedroom walls. This meant that the normal back of the headboard be finished from top to bottom. Jean and I shopped around for such a configuration but didn’t find anything suitable, so we decided to design and build one ourselves. After several design iterations and a model, we ended up building the one shown in the photos. The “arch” was constructed using Wenge veneer over a double thickness of ¾” Baltic Birch plywood. The plywood edges were banded with 1/16” Wenge strips. The “loop” is ½” Baltic Birch plywood veneered with Lacewood – front, back and edges. The cherry slats are solid hardwood. The slats and the ends of the loop fit into mortises in the arch. To facilitate assembly, the arch is joined under the top keystone shaped cherry piece using a floating tenon. There is a 4” wide interface panel between the headboard and the mattress to allow the design to show on the bed side. The finish is several coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. Thanks for looking.

finished headboard1.jpg
IMG_1243 (1).jpgIMG_1248.jpgIMG_1247.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob, beautiful craftsmanship and intriguing design! It is wonderful to see you posting your work again...we missed you!

llucas

luke
Senior User
That is some real eye candy! I love the design and your explanation of construction details. My head is hurting just thinking about making all those mortices. Thanks for sharing.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great piece Bob. It looks to have been a fun build as well

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS