Console Table: Finished

waitup

New User
Matt
Gorgeous piece! Is there any concern with these doors cupping as there is nothing across the woodgrain?

Reactions: drw

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
No one has mentioned the hinges. I built 2 cabinets with inset doors using the same hinges as you have used. I swore I would never do it again. It was a PITA. Really curiou about your method with installing them.
I use Blum soft close hinges and I typically haven't experienced too many issues. Years ago I purchased a Rockler jig for lining up cup placement for European hinges, which is a big help. That said, I have found that even if the hinges do not initially snap into place a slight tweak on the appropriate adjustment screw is usually enough to bring everything into alignment.

They say confession is good for the soul, here is my confession...prior to applying the finish I installed the doors and got everything properly aligned. In order to apply the finish, I took all the hardware off but I made sure to label each piece so that I could put everything back in the same location thus assuring proper alignment, etc. After the finish cured, I reinstalled the hardware in the labeled locations, but when I hung the doors nothing fit without more tweaking. I was puzzled, but after a little tinkering everthing was aligned. When I closed the doors I was astonished to find that the chevrons were point "down", not "up" as intended! While I had replaced the hardware in proper locations, I somehow managed to swap the right and left doors. Although it was a simple process of swapping doors and re-tweaking, I remained confused as to how I got the doors confused (I am 73, so that may explain a lot)!

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Don. Everything from design/proportion to grain match to finish is very well done. Your daughter will love it!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS