Console Table: Finished

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
A few months ago, my daughter asked if I would build her a console table. When asked what she had in mind she sent me a picture. At first glance I thought it would be a relatively simple but interesting project, but it proved to be far more "interesting" than I originally thought. While I won't go into all of the ups/downs, the doors are the obvious standout feature and shouldn't be all that difficult - but it proved to be a bit more tricky that I had anticipated. The wood is sapele and when I originally purchased it, the only suitable boards available were 8/4...no problem...resawn boards would be a great way to create the matching chevrons. Initially, it did work very well, but two day after I cut, glued and sanded the doors I noticed that they were cupping. While I am no expert, my guess is that resawing released some of the internal stresses in the wood. I have used 8/4 many times before with only minor movement issues. That said, the next trip I bought 5/4 boards, created one large panel from which I cut the two doors. The cabinet is about 47.5" wide, 17" deep and 29" hight; the finish is 6 coats of wipe-on poly. All things considered, I am pleased with how it turned out.
F0D14706-F525-45C5-AEAE-280029011523(1).jpg

31846256-A764-473E-80A9-68F434EB7881.jpg

553ACD4E-4D74-4F4D-B093-5E70A0BC94A9(1).jpg

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
beautiful!

Not to change the subject, but what kind of boat do you move with that dolly?
I’m used to seeing bicycles in shop photos!

Reactions: drw

llucas

luke
Senior User
Donn, that is just gorgeous! I love the way you arranged the grain patterns.
I don't see any handles...tell me about the closure mechanism. Push to open? The ones I've seen have a more obvious "piston" than I see in your pics. What brand are they?

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Donn, that is just gorgeous! I love the way you arranged the grain patterns.
I don't see any handles...tell me about the closure mechanism. Push to open? The ones I've seen have a more obvious "piston" than I see in your pics. What brand are they?
Luke, at my daughter's request I installed push-release latches. I ordered them from Rockler and I think they are made by Blum. I appreciate your comments.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Donn! You did a very nice job matching the grain so that it flows with the piece.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Great looking table! Very clean lines and the way you matched the panels makes it pop. I'm sure your daughter will really appreciate it.

BTW - if you figure out a magic method to keep wood from warping, cupping, and bowing please let the rest of us know. ;)

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Looks awesome! I like grain and color work but I'm interested in the base. What's the construction and how are they attached?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Looks awesome! I like grain and color work but I'm interested in the base. What's the construction and how are they attached?
Matt, regarding the base construction techniques, the top is attached to both sides with glue and dominos (3 on each side). On the bottom sides I routed stopped rabbets to create a 3/4" inset for the doors, the bottom is glued into the rabbet and as an extra measure of mechanical support the sides are screwed into the bottom (3 screws each side and plugged).

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. But I want to know how you keep your shop so clean.
Kelly, my shop is one of the stops for this weekend's shop crawl, so I have been cleaning in preparation for visitors!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
No one has mentioned the hinges. I built 2 cabinets with inset doors using the same hinges as you have used. I swore I would never do it again. It was a PITA. Really curiou about your method with installing them.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Wow don Beautiful, that is such a wonderful piece, well balanced and great attention to detail !

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS