Consistent Wolverine Vari-Grind Angles

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Consistent Wolverine Vari-Grind angles

I’m guessing that this idea isn’t new, but here’s my take on setting consistent Vari-Grind angles on a Wolverine jig.

Make a supply of right-angle stock to fit on/over the long V-arm. Once a desired grind angle is confirmed by way of the V-arm length setting, carefully measure the distance between V-arm socket and the locking base. Then cut a matching length of the right-angle stock and label it. Now, whenever you want that angle to sharpen a gouge with the Vari-Grind, just place the spacer on the V-arm, slide it towards the base and lock the arm. Now, cut and label a right-angle spacer for each of the Vari-Grind gouge angles you use. You’ll get consistent sharpening quickly, easily and inexpensively—every time.

Wolverine Angle Guides 3.jpg
Wolverine Angle Guides 2.jpg
View attachment 204604

llucas

luke
Senior User
Ed, I really like that! gonna make some of those. I have been marking the sliding shaft with a thin marker, but I like your way much better.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I really like the clearly labeled indexing device. Mine were poorly labeled but still readable. I think I'm inspired to get out the P-Touch.
I used a piece of 1/4" plywood indexing off of the wheel's diameter and I'm not sure that's any better at all. These are things I made in 2005 and still use. At the time, it was a big upgrade to what I had been using before the days of the internet.

1     sharpening - 1.jpg

1     sharpening - 2.jpg

1     sharpening - 3.jpg

1     sharpening - 4.jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Great idea Ed! I think I’ll just make a set of these myself. Thanks for posting!
By the way, is that a Powertech slow speed grinder? I have a Powertech myself and want to upgrade to CBN wheels. Which brand wheels did you choose? Happy with it or them? Grit recommendations? Thanks again.
Sam

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
these are also an option, but your method is a LOT cheaper

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
+++ on the Raptor system. Also add in the Raptor set-up blocks that completes the system. They may cost a little more, but it saves work.

Pop

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Great idea Ed! I think I’ll just make a set of these myself. Thanks for posting!
By the way, is that a Powertech slow speed grinder? I have a Powertech myself and want to upgrade to CBN wheels. Which brand wheels did you choose? Happy with it or them? Grit recommendations? Thanks again.
Sam
It's an older Woodcraft grinder. The CBN wheels are from Woodturners Wonders. I opted for 180 and 350 and they seem to be working out (for me). The 350 is the wider squared-off edge version with some flat area on the sides of the wheel. The 180 has the radiused edges.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS