Conquered the Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hay all. Well I finally overcame my fear/hesitation of building chairs.
I always had shied:embaresseaway from building them, you know the fear of the unknown. Silly, really I guess, however it did stop me from attempting it for several years.
Here is a quick pic of the completed chair

Dining_Room_Chairs_003.jpg

I have built plenty of Adirondack chairs, but for some reason I considered them different.

Omnijig_Porter_Cable_7116_007.jpg

I did use plans, thanks to a unnamed buddy,:icon_thum.

cutting the parts was pretty straight forward. I did wonder however how to preform the mortise and tenon joints on curved pieces.
SO hopefully I can show the steps here that I took.
I started out with selecting the grain patterns that would look the best. You presentation means allot.
I never use to do this step, but it does make a big difference.

Then I cut the tendons on the square stock.

After that I made a template of both sides of the arc for the ladder back

and then the other side of the arc.

I filed and sanded the templates edges to ensure that they were smooth with no bumps or divots on the edges.

Starting with the first one using double sided carpet tape, I mounted the template on the stock.
I then traced around the template with a #2 Pencil. I used this pencil because I wanted a thick pencil thin not a thin one.
All this was for the next step. Off to the bandsaw.

If you look close you can see the pencil mark traced around the template. I followed this mark to the outside edge of the mark. I had to put on my glasses for this :gar-La;.
The trick here was to cut the outside edge of the pencil mark and not the template. I came close on several occasions.:eek:

After cutting the the pattern I would take the piece to the router table and using a 2" pattern bit, I would follow the template removing the material under the pencil mark.
It worked real well as there wasn't much material that the router bit had to remove.

Repeat the procedure with the second template. After several hours it was all done except finish sanding.

FOr the legs it was about the same ordeal, except they had the mortises in them.
Started out with a template.
Mounted the template to the stock watch for the grain orientation.

Traced, cut on band Saw, routed around template with pattern bit.

If you notice the mortises are marked out and are now ready to be cut out.

Off to the mortising machine. Sure am glad I got one. I still would be there cutting them into/out by hand.

Making the cross braces and the front legs was pretty straight forward.

I used 3/4 MDF for the seat bottoms. Man I hate cutting that dusty stuff. But figured they should work just fine for seat bottoms.

I did purchase the foam from a local upholstery shop. The wife got the fabric.
No matter how we tried I couldn't get the fabric wrapped around that foam and seat bottom to save my soul. It just didn't look right.
SO I cheated and took them to the upholstery shop and they completed the seats for me.
Best $20.00 I spent.

And then there was a chair.

Made up a mixture of BLO, MiS, and Satin polyurethane
2 Coats of this followed by, 3 coats of Satin and done. Of course were was sanding between coats.

ANd here they are in their new home with the Trestle table I had built last year.

Walnut_dining_room_table_007.jpg

Whew that was a bit putting that together. hope you enjoyed.

Thanks for looking

MAC

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Fantastic!!! :icon_thum

Great job on the chairs and they go perfectly with the table.

pete

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent work there, Mac!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:icon_thum:icon_thum

All those mortises!!!!!!!!!!!!:elvis::elvis: Especially the ones for the ladder back. I can see where exact precision has to there to get the alignment of rungs , I am sure. Wonderful job.

They sure do accommodate that fine looking table as well.

Thanks for the play by play. Hang onto the templates, you be asked to build a few more!:gar-La;:gar-La;

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Wow! You did it! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

What lessons have you learned or what would you do differently now that you have done it?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Wow! You did it! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

What lessons have you learned or what would you do differently now that you have done it?

To tell the truth Travis as far as the process is concerned. I'm not sure that I would change anything.
As far as stock prep is concerned, HECk YA.
I was working with Walnut, and I ran into a bunch of it that had "Wind Shake" damage. There was several times I didn't catch it, and it bit me in the butt. I had to re mill lumber, go thru the whole set up of equipment, etc.
So LOOK at your lumber thoroughly prior to starting.
THe other would be grain orientation and direction, I am glad I stayed on top of that, or the rungs on ladder back could have looked goofy I guess.

There is one other thing, when you got people here, like yourself that take the time out of their day to come and show another woodworker a few tips on the jointer, ie, blade change, set up and use of. It was just very invaluable. I thank you so many times over in day you just don't know.
Again my friend THANKS. The jointer is my pal and friend. I am enjoying using it to it's full potential.

Now I am off to the next build. Give you a clue, it's medium to tall in height, it is an indoor item.
Everyone in house uses them.

Started to mill down QS red Oak for this build.

Pics to follow the build

MAC

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mac, very impressive. Chairs scare me too. Most of the projects we build tend to be over-engineered in terms of strength. Let's face it, dovetails on a box are for looks only, with modern glue butt joints hold just fine. But chairs - people sit on 'em, lean back, they rack, lots of stress on the joints. So it better be spot on! Oh yeah, it has to look good too. And you gotta have patience to build six of them!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm going to have to disagree with Geoff (BigDog72). You're not just another pretty face!

(let me emphasize that. You're _definitely_ not a pretty face :rolf:)

eyekode

New User
Salem
Ok, I will admit it. I am scared of chairs too :). A long term goal is to make a Maloof style rocker and a Windsor chair. But I don't have the guts to even try a stool yet!
Salem

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

I have to admit, I suffer from chair-ophobia too. Looks like you more than overcame the fear... the chairs look great. Thanks for sharing

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow, excellent work. I think I have the same plans and they're on my "someday" list. I'll be bookmarking this thread for inspiration!

Bravo! :eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dude, you are way more than welcome, and I thank you for your generosity as well. It was well worth the trip to just get a view of your toyls and to spend some time with you. I look forward to doing it again, but we have to do lunch this time. For some reason, I forgot about that.

Glennbear

Glenn
Beautiful work Mac :icon_thum Thank you for taking the time to make such a thorough post of the build. This is truly inspirational for those of us still suffering from "chair intimidation". :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors