Completed Walnut Corner Cupboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
You have created a beautiful piece of furniture. From the design to the wood selection to the details, it shows your craftsmanship.

I would bet you will have family standing in line to inherit it - even if they do need to remove the roof and use a crane!!

Thanks for the post, and the photos.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
Very fine piece of work. I really like all the beading on the openings and back boards. The fluted sides with the raised panel dividers are great features.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
What everybody has already said! Absolutely awesome, and you allowed enough room to tip it into place without the ceiling stopping it, unlike a cabinet maker who called me to help transport, carry up stairs, and set in place 3 display cabinets. No way would they ever fit without trimming enough to allow them to be tipped up, because the diagnal length of the rectangular cabinets, was greater than the ceilings heigth. :BangHead:

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
sawman 101

Thanks for the compliment. I learned the hard way many years ago about the diagonal length of a cabinet being critical for it being able to stand up. On this project, I repeatedly checked my dimensions over and over (hey that 9th grade math actually paid off!!) and knew it would be close. I knew I had about 1" to spare but the sigh of relief I breathed when it stood up in the room would have inflated a normal size hot air balloon.

Rob Liles

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Stephen,

Thanks for your comment. The finish for this piece is General Finishes Enduro-Var. This is the first time I have used this General product and I am pleased with the results. I have used General Finishes High Performance Polyurethane Top Coat for several years now and have been very pleased with it but it is absolutely crystal clear. To me that produces a finish that is a little "loud" and "sharp". The Enduro-Var has a slight amber tint to it and produces a much "warmer" finish in my opinion. I sprayed five coats, wiping down between coats with Scott Brite abrasive pads going from course to fine. I did have a little bit of a problem on vertical surfaces with some runs that were easily repaired. I don't know if my spraying technique was off with a new product or what. I generally have not had problems like that with the High Performance finish but then I don't spray on a regular basis and it could have just been "out-of-practice" sloppiness. Now, I realize that this might be total blasphemy, but I did use a very, very thin stain on the walnut prior to spraying. I have found that walnut can have many varying shades in it from steamed walnut, unsteamed walnut, sap wood and the transition from heart wood to sap wood especially in steamed walnut. I also don't have the financial luxury to be obsessively picky when selecting individual boards so my finished product can have many varying shades. I use a very thin stain (about a 3 to 1 neutral to stain) just to even out the shades and slightly cover any exposed sap wood. Again, thanks for your comment.

Rob Liles

Richo B

New User
Richo
What a massive amazing piece!! The fact that it is one whole piece makes anyone not want to move it again. I like the triangle drawer and its dovetails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors