Completed this jewelry box yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I built this jewelry box for my Granddaughter's birthday in March

Cora_s_Jewelry_Box_001.JPG

My son asked me to build another for his girlfriend. I came across a few nice pieces of curly maple for the sides and a block of birds eye maple for the drawer fronts. I got that birds eye maple maybe 10-12 years ago when my wife worked at an auction house. It was being sold as a gun stock blank. I had been waiting for the right project to use it on and forgot I had it.

Anyway here it is.

Jewelry_box_025.JPG

Jewelry_box_024.JPG

Jewelry_box_026.JPG

The top, bottom, drawer boxes and feet are cherry. General finishes Seal-A-Cell topped of with several coats of GF Endurovar satin poly. There are a couple of additional pictures in my gallery.

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that is sure to be treasured for a long time.:icon_thum:icon_thum excellent work Mark.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the kind comments.

That is very nice, Mark.

Did you line the drawers with anything?

All six drawers are lined with padded velvet inserts. The inserts are a piece of poster board with some polyester fiberfill covered with the velvet fabric. The valvet is glued to the back side of the poster board.

Cato

New User
Bob
Really nice box Mark. From the few boxes that I have made they are way more challenging than people think.

Your design and build look very well thought out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece Mark. Sure hope your son is serious about this girl. :gar-Bi If he's anything like my son was, you might have to build another one in six months. :wwink:

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Really nice box Mark. From the few boxes that I have made they are way more challenging than people think.

Your design and build look very well thought out.

Thanks Bob. But to clarify, this is not my design. This plan is from Woodsmith Magazine (Volume 33, #197)

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece Mark. Sure hope your son is serious about this girl. :gar-Bi If he's anything like my son was, you might have to build another one in six months. :wwink:

Bill

I sure hope I don't have to make another one. Two was more than enough.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nice work Mark. Your wood selection is nicely complementary.

BTW, is there such a beast called a "pre-prenuptial agreement"?

stave

New User
stave
Beautiful work and design, my wife is envious but knows me to well to ask. You're a good man to build one for a girlfriend!

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS