Completed Projects

ste6168

New User
Mike
End of last summer we moved, so getting the new shop setup (still not fully there), along with new house projects/repairs/updates, then the hurricane, has put a damper on shop time. Figured I would share a few pics of a few things I have finished in the last few months. Can't wait to get my shop back to 100% - Currently have to share the space with lawn care stuff, kids bikes/toys, etc. Hoping to break ground on the storage shed this weekend to get that stuff out of the way.

Projects as follows:
  • Above garage door fishing rod storage (nothing special, functional)
  • "Built in" shelves for my parents house. I built and installed them, mom stained and finished them. Made from a single large slab of SYP, plywood strips mounted to wall, shelves slide in place.
  • Board game wall in the kids playroom - Have wanted to do this for a few years, mounted board games to a simple plywood box, integrated piece storage and a french cleat on the back. Decoration and storage of the games.
  • Floating top sofa table, also for kids playroom. All made from 'Dimensional Lumber'
  • Storage cabinet and shelf in laundry room (doors to come, someday)
  • Floating shelves for bathroom. Stained Red oak. Made the brackets, also.
  • Address Plaque - Made of two layers of King Starboard (HDPE). Numbers cut on scroll saw. Layers screwed together with stainless screws from back.
  • Mitered frames, made of sapele (need a second print). Made to make a large frame I made a few years ago.
I hope this isn't "too much" sharing in a single post... Also, any recommendations for photo hosting sites where I can share, categorize, and document projects more easily?

IMG_2121.jpgIMG_2131.jpgIMG_2133.jpgIMG_2833.jpgIMG_2809.jpgIMG_2801.jpgIMG_2681.jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3349.jpgIMG_3607.jpgIMG_3613.jpgIMG_3890.jpgIMG_3888.jpgIMG_3747.jpgIMG_3748.jpgIMG_4044.jpgIMG_4045.jpgIMG_3999.jpgIMG_4004.jpgIMG_3998.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and busy, busy, busy!

Do you fish a lot or take other fishing with that huge selection of rods/reels? I count 24 and still counting.

Where'd you get the backing and hardware for the sapele frames? (pic 21).

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nicely done and busy, busy, busy!

Do you fish a lot or take other fishing with that huge selection of rods/reels? I count 24 and still counting.

Where'd you get the backing and hardware for the sapele frames? (pic 21).

I try to fish a lot, but between the kids obligations (sports, concerts, etc), work, housework, and working in the shop, I don't get out as much as I'd like (or as much as I did pre-children). Just like anything else, You could get by with one or two rods, but having the "right tool for the job" makes in easier. I also have 2/3 rods that perform each function, that way I, usually' don't need to re-tie on the boat. Break one off, pick up the other. or, I will have one tied with a white jig, other with pink. Stuff like that.

I got the back and the glass from a donor "frameless" frame that I got from hobby lobby. After the 40% off coupon, I think I paid like $7 each, or around that.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Nice bunch of projects Mike. I'm currently working on (in my head!) plans for retrofitting a house boat into a woodshop so I can fish and do woodworking at the same time. I'll send you plans when I figure it out.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Nice bunch of projects Mike. I'm currently working on (in my head!) plans for retrofitting a house boat into a woodshop so I can fish and do woodworking at the same time. I'll send you plans when I figure it out.

Man, don't use the table saw while fishing in rough seas! LOL - If it ever comes to fruition, let me know, I would love to see and hear more!

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Thanks Bruce. I wouldn't go that far, I am an amateur by comparison to most. I enjoy it though, have always enjoyed building and creating things.

If you are an amateur, I don't even know what that would make me!!!

I really liked the wall of games. How do you hang them?

Also liked the floating shelves in the bathroom. I bought some at Ikea and they are far from secure

The other shelves in the nook (at your parent's home I think) were very nice as well. What is SYP?

ste6168

New User
Mike
If you are an amateur, I don't even know what that would make me!!!

I really liked the wall of games. How do you hang them?

Also liked the floating shelves in the bathroom. I bought some at Ikea and they are far from secure

The other shelves in the nook (at your parent's home I think) were very nice as well. What is SYP?

Hey Jim - Thanks for the kind words! As for the wall of games, they hang with a small french cleat. That little block mounted to the wall is the cleat, then each box (the top) is the corresponding part. I attached a pic to maybe better explain it. SYP is Southern Yellow Pine, I also attached a picture of the "slab" those shelves came from. IIRC, the piece was 16' long, ~22" wide, and 2.25" thick.

IMG_4291.jpgIMG_2210.jpg

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Hey Jim - Thanks for the kind words! As for the wall of games, they hang with a small french cleat. That little block mounted to the wall is the cleat, then each box (the top) is the corresponding part. I attached a pic to maybe better explain it. SYP is Southern Yellow Pine, I also attached a picture of the "slab" those shelves came from. IIRC, the piece was 16' long, ~22" wide, and 2.25" thick.
Thanks for the explanations.

camlane

New User
cam
End of last summer we moved, so getting the new shop setup (still not fully there), along with new house projects/repairs/updates, then the hurricane, has put a damper on shop time. Figured I would share a few pics of a few things I have finished in the last few months. Can't wait to get my shop back to 100% - Currently have to share the space with lawn care stuff, kids bikes/toys, etc. Hoping to break ground on the storage shed this weekend to get that stuff out of the way.

Projects as follows:
  • Above garage door fishing rod storage (nothing special, functional)
  • "Built in" shelves for my parents house. I built and installed them, mom stained and finished them. Made from a single large slab of SYP, plywood strips mounted to wall, shelves slide in place.
  • Board game wall in the kids playroom - Have wanted to do this for a few years, mounted board games to a simple plywood box, integrated piece storage and a french cleat on the back. Decoration and storage of the games.
  • Floating top sofa table, also for kids playroom. All made from 'Dimensional Lumber'
  • Storage cabinet and shelf in laundry room (doors to come, someday)
  • Floating shelves for bathroom. Stained Red oak. Made the brackets, also.
  • Address Plaque - Made of two layers of King Starboard (HDPE). Numbers cut on scroll saw. Layers screwed together with stainless screws from back.
  • Mitered frames, made of sapele (need a second print). Made to make a large frame I made a few years ago.
I hope this isn't "too much" sharing in a single post... Also, any recommendations for photo hosting sites where I can share, categorize, and document projects more easily?

View attachment 184790View attachment 184788View attachment 184789View attachment 184803View attachment 184804View attachment 184805View attachment 184806View attachment 184793View attachment 184792View attachment 184791View attachment 184794View attachment 184795View attachment 184796View attachment 184797View attachment 184808View attachment 184807View attachment 184799View attachment 184798View attachment 184801View attachment 184800View attachment 184802
Nice work!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS