Completed Dressing Table with cabriole legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Recently completed project, mahogany dressing table with cabriole legs and tiger paw feet. The table was made according to plans from http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/indextool.mvc?prodid=LL-M-8 similar to a table the Museum of Early Decorative Arts (MESDA) in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I attempted to make the ball and claw feet but was not satisfied with the outcome so the customer agreed to accept the tiger paw style foot.

The construction is solid mahogany with the exception that the inner portion of the drawers are soft maple and maple plywood bottome.
In order to reporduce an antique look, the completed table was fumed with ammonia for 48 hours (sealed plastic tent with a dish of 28% aqueous ammonia) followed by 4 coats of waterlox satin and two coats of antique mahogany Briwax. It was quite amazing how the fuming process darkened the color of the wood.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
Your table is very pretty Jeff. Keep it up.

I know you and I talked about the fumed finish. Did you ever read any of the George Frank books on finishing? I think I liked Adventures in Wood Finishing best.

Jim

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The piece was commissioned but we I am not sure what to charge. I was provided a photo from an antique magazine and asked if I could build it. I located the plans at Garrett Wade. I thought it would be a nice challenge but quickly realized my skills were limited in carving. The original has ball and claw feet, flutes on the corners and a bead at the top of the leg that turns into aspiral on the knee. I made a set of legs trying to carve ball and claw but was not satisfied with the work. I tried to do the flutes and bead and was not satisfied with these either so the legs on the table are a second set that matched my skill level.

The plans are not very good. The leg pattern is fine but much of the other is very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS