Completed Chessboard !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Chess_Board_001.JPG

Chess_Board_006.JPG

Walnut and Maple. Squares are 1.5in and 3/16ths thick. Laminated on stable MDF for flatness. Edged with Maple (with Mitered Splines , Walnut). Drawers are Q/s White Oak , dividers also. Velour lined .

Thanks for looking

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work again, Matt!

Did you change anything in the design from the one you did awhile back?

Those those squares cut nice and precise. (I think that I would fail when it came time to glue everything up square and tight!:BangHead:)

Well done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Nice work Matt! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Looks great Matt! :icon_thum

Nice work again, Matt!

Did you change anything in the design from the one you did awhile back?

Those those squares cut nice and precise. (I think that I would fail when it came time to glue everything up square and tight!:BangHead:)

Well done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Trent, Bill, Travis; Thanks guys! much appreciated!
Wayne: Yes. I went from Construction Ply sub-base:eusa_doh: to MDF. The Mdf was more flat and stable than the Construction ply. I also made the bottom base a smidge wider than the first. Lastly, instead of 1/4in ply wood drawers and dividers, I went with Q/S white oak, much richer look! .

Oh, one other change, I tried out box joints to keep in theme with the checkerboard pattern. rather than conventional joinery (not dovetails).

The key to cutting the squares is to keep the same setting on table saw, go slowly, and cut all your maple and walnut at the same time for consistency.

Thanks again!

Matt

Beautiful job!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Matt,

Nice design and execution. Thanks for the "how I built it" too.

Regards,

bobby g

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
That looks great. I really want to try my hand at one of those someday..

Matt,

Nice design and execution. Thanks for the "how I built it" too.

Regards,

bobby g

Nice job Matt.:icon_thum:icon_thum I like the walnut band around the board.

:icon_thum turned out great!

RC,Kevin: Thanks, when you start, lemme know if you need consulting!

BobbyG: Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback!

Fred: I've seen your chessboard and chess pieces, I need to get to the next "turning" level in order to attempt! I will get there!

Zap, Steve: thanks bud! will see you tomorrow!

Again your feedback is encouraging!

Matt

wrwilder

New User
Ray
Matt,

Nice work. Glad to see the walnut I gave you was put to good use. Would it be possible to get the plans? I think that might be a nice project for my grandsons.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt,

Nice work. Glad to see the walnut I gave you was put to good use. Would it be possible to get the plans? I think that might be a nice project for my grandsons.

Ray, thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I did not work with any plans. As a kid, I played alot of chess. I know there are 64 squares ( 8 rows of 8). I knew I wanted my squares 1 1/2 inches. From there, it was literally a geometric progression.

The walnut border is approx 3/8ths, and the Maple Edgebanding is approx 3/4 inches x 3/4in.

After that, evertything else was a matter of proportion/aesthetics. This being my 2nd completed chessboard, I had a little experience helping me. Previous posts mention some of my design changes.

This is the fun I have with woodworking, not using any plans. I will study photos, cruise websites like furniture stores, chess stores, to get design ideas and rough dimensions. But that's bout it.

The rest is a logical puzzle, and boy I love puzzles! Im often puzzled :gar-Bi.

I would be happy to come over to your shop, or vice versa to share more, when you decide to move forward.

Talk Soon,

Matt

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice looking board Matt. I'm with you - I like to come up with "my" design. this feature from here and that feature from there. Good craftsmanship! I gotta stop down and see your shop sometime!

Dan

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Very nice work. I've been wanting to build a chess board with drawers as a gift for my brother. Your work inspires me.:icon_cheers

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
SWEET!!! I saw the actual WIP. You have done well Grass Hopper. :eusa_clap

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Nice looking board Matt. I'm with you - I like to come up with "my" design. this feature from here and that feature from there. Good craftsmanship! I gotta stop down and see your shop sometime!

Dan

Very nice work. I've been wanting to build a chess board with drawers as a gift for my brother. Your work inspires me.:icon_cheers

SWEET!!! I saw the actual WIP. You have done well Grass Hopper. :eusa_clap

Dan: Thanks, anytime you can get away from shop! PM me for address info!
Sawman: Go for it! The beauty is, it doesn't take alot of Walnut and Maple!
Scott: Thanks bro! :icon_thum. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS