Compass saw

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My jig saw is in for repair as it was not oscillating and I needed to make a few curves. * I decided to give my old compass saw a sharpening. It was a strait rip geometry with pretty large hook. Darn near 30. After doing some research, it seems if one was going to cut wood with them, they would want two. One rip, one crosscut. I bet 90% of them are used to cut drywall and it does not matter and most people use a jig saw anyway. They can get into places power tools can't. So thinking homeowner handyman use, maybe make a half-way with just a little fleam. Make it equally not perfect for either rip or crosscut? Being rip, explains why the holes I have cut in paneling are so rough with so much splintering.

I think I gathered that a table saw is similar, but the set is offset to give it help in following a large outside radius in one direction only. A compass saw needs to cut in either direction.

Thoughts, comments, dope-slaps?

* eventually just put the smallest blade in my Hacks-All and hacked the curves, cleaning them up with a rasp.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They actually make a small sabre saw - ish type blade for a Sawzall that does corners quite well. It's primarily used to cut drywall and avoid the risk of cutting a cable or pipe within the wall.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Probably what I have. Instead of my big Saws-all, I used my little 12V Hacks-all. Really handy tool. They use the same blades.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you have a band saw why not make a circle jig for it. Mine is built into a table that remains on the saw. It has a sliding pivot point that I can adjust to the desired radius (anywhere from about 2" up to 12+") and is removable for when I don't need it. Cuts perfect circles and is much faster than me doing this by hand. Only downside is you have a small hole where the pivot sits. No big deal unless you plan to see both sides.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I bought the 1st. version of the Carter bandsaw circle jig. I haven't been all that impressed with it. I have a older USA made Delta saw, and had to modify the jig to attach to my saw table. It lacks support for stock you're sawing. I've had it on the saw 2 times in the 3 years I've owned it. I now understand they have made improvements I have not looked at the new version so I don't know what is new.

Pop :rolleyes:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Foot Note: I just pulled up the photo from Carter. I see they have added a material support block. I think this would solve one of the problems I had with this Jig.

Pop

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Band saw works fine unless it is some awkward thing you can't pick up and move to the saw. Like a wall.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Like many, mine was a little bent. I was surprised how easy it was to get it back pretty close. As I have a punch drywall saw and when I don't know what is hiding, use my multi-tool, not sure I'll use it much when I get my nice Makita 18V jig saw back. Having the jig saw on a shelf with no cord actually surprised me how much I use it. Easy to grab where before it was go get the case, tool to install a blade, cord etc.

If I ever need to cut a big arc, I would make a jig though my BS tracks very well and I can pretty easily cut the center of my pencil mark.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS